Cosby Sweater



Iconic pieces of clothing, they come in many shapes and forms. You have probably all read at least FIFTY magazines mentioning "the LBD" (because REAL iconic pieces are known by abbreviation). You know, that "basic, simple, elegant black dress you can dress UP and DOWN with perfectly picked accessories". It should be flattering but modest, suitable both for parties or a day of work. Yadeyadeyade. Seriously, do those magazines actually KNOW how a woman's brain works? I don't think many women get very passionate about one boring ass dress they can wear every single day. 
Shouldn't an iconic piece be AWESOME and memorable? The Little Black Dress is like a plain slice of bread in garmentform. I don't know about you, but a plain slice of bread doesn't exactly ring my bell. An iconic piece of clothing shouldn't remind you of plain bread, it should remind you of the most awesome-ass sandwich ever made in the history of mankind. With peanutbutter and bananas and nutella and butter and pickles and lasagne and cherry pie and mozzarella and pancakes and roast chicken and everything you love, thrown together between two slices of bread, with whipped cream on top. 

Now THAT would be an iconic sandwich.


And what is the garment equivalent of that EPIC sandwich?


The Cosby Sweater or CS(tm).



I don't know about you, but I have always had a soft spot for weird prints, especially on sweaters. My dad used to have this WILD sweater with like a PINK fireworks print  against a background of THE UNIVERSE or something. I'm really sad I don't have that sweater anymore, because I would be workin' it. 
Crazy sweaters are a rare commodity these days, which of course only adds to their EPIC status, but this does make me slightly sad. I would love to find a CS that has a print of a dude running a marathon in bright yellow sneakers, like the one on their namesake wearer in the picture above. But alas, I will have to make do with my own vintage fair isle sweater. I soothe my needy mind with the idea that Bill Cosby might wear fair isle CSs if he'd go on a skiing trip or something like that. 
If I can spread my fabulous idea to the rest of the world, maybe magazines will start writing articles about how EVERY girl should own a CS. Maybe H&M will start stocking all kinds of novelty print sweaters. I'm starting a revolution here!


What deserves the ICON status more, the AWESOMENESS that is the Cosby sweater or some boring old little black dress (note the neutral choice of words)? And do you guys have any other icon nominees? Be creative! 

sweater, skirt: vintage (T2)
tights, belt: H&M
shoes: Sac d'Anvers
watch: ASOS

29 comments

  1. I love this! High waisted long skirts are my weakness. Swoon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. a plain 'slice of bread' is very versatile, and so is a little black dress. for that matter it is absolutely necessary to have one, or ideally more, in your wardrobe. it happens to be so iconic because you can make your very own sandwich with it... with chicken or nutella, as you fancy, and it will be fabulous and different and personal.
    ... but i understand what you're trying to say! i mostly 'shop' by that philosophy too, and that's the explanation of many very strange items in my wardrobe... which rarely go together! and on that note, i'll have to go back to the importance of a little black dress again ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of course I know why the LBD is such a special piece, but my post is supposed to be funny so I just made things appear a little more ridiculous than they are :D Still, I'd call it a basic rather than an icon! Marilyn Monroe is an icon, and she is NO LBD!

    ReplyDelete
  4. that sandwich, good in theory but im sure it wouldnt taste too amaazing. luckily with fashion if you try something just as crazy you wont end up with a mad stomach pain! heh. adore your sweater, and i just noticed your amazing belt, i want it! love your watch too lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. love this look on you! the sweater is so cozy and perfect and the hem length is just right,,and great accessories !
    xoxo

    http://www.leatherlaceblog.com/
    http://www.leatherlaceblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your belt!!!
    For me, iconic is just whatever has a bird print on it or is made of lace....:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this sweater!!! And haha, yayyy Bill Cosby!!! :D
    I agree about iconic pieces, they need to be fun and wild and crazy! A LBD is more of a basic piece, not iconic
    http://aclosetfashionista.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. yep, really do love your skirt and belt. :)
    i don't have too many sweaters myself but i do have a few good and awesome pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  9. that skirt is totally adorable!! and whole outfit is WOW!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. i am going to learn how to knit these jumpers!! cool blog!! x Andi

    blogforandi.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well, I love your take on the LBD (boring slice of bread, bleh!) and i totally agree. Who wants a PLAIN dress, when you can have a gorgeous, unique and colourful one! LBDs are for people who stick to the rules, which is boring and typical ;) BAD ASS SANDWICHES ALL THE WAY!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. this is such perfection my dear! the sweater looks so cozy and fuzzy! and the skirt is amazing! you are awesome!


    xx,
    Joanna
    Only the Marvelous

    ReplyDelete
  13. Annabeth, I would steal that jumper from you too. And you would still be my friend because I would do it very sneakily, and you would have NO idea that I was the phantom sweater thief.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this post :) I was laughing so hard! I, too, love crazy prints on sweaters! Another piece I personally think should be considered iconic: printed trouser socks. I have some with flowers, snow men, owls, giraffes, tie-dye, flamingos...the list goes on and on!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Staat je heel mooi! Vooral het riempje vind ik super!

    Love Nanne
    www.fashiablee.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Erg leuke outfit! Ik herinner me nu dat ik dat riempje ook nog in de kast heb liggen ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Die trui heb ik nog aangehad haha maar vond hem niet zo wauw! Wel leuk hoe je hem draagt met die rok! Heb hier in VIlvoorde een nieuwe store gevonden met constant items aan 1 - 3€! Zo geweldig! xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love this post :) I was laughing so hard! I, too, love crazy prints on sweaters! Another piece I personally think should be considered iconic: printed trouser socks. I have some with flowers, snow men, owls, giraffes, tie-dye, flamingos...the list goes on and on!

    ReplyDelete
  19. i am going to learn how to knit these jumpers!! cool blog!! x Andi

    blogforandi.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. yep, really do love your skirt and belt. :)
    i don't have too many sweaters myself but i do have a few good and awesome pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love your belt!!!
    For me, iconic is just whatever has a bird print on it or is made of lace....:)

    ReplyDelete