These smiling eyes are just a mirror for the sun, also: CLOGS!

Finally some sun! And it's my guy's birthday! Happy b-day, sweetheart! Looking forward to another year together.

 dress: h&m
shoes: pimkie
glasses: claire's



On another note: I am totally and utterly won over by clogs. I used to hate them. My barbie had some clogs and I never let her wear them because I thought they were butt-ugly. I associated them with a certain style that wasn't mine: bedazzled denim, baby pink miniature handbags with equally miniature dogs in there, and a fake tan. Mind you, I was too young to associate clogs with the origin of their popularity: the seventies. Maybe I was just brainwashed by all the tacky stiletto heeled versions out there. Anyway, I was blind for their obvious, quirky, clunky appeal. And then there was Chanel's spring/summer 2010 show. I was immediately won over by the romantic farm vibe as it epitomizes what summer is all about for me: golden sunrays, the smell of mown lawn, grass beneath your bare feet, and feminine dresses. The clogs seemed so natural with the looks, both traditional and fashion forward. Even a bit bohemièn if you ask me: I could see Vanessa Paradis lounging in some vintage chanel flapperstyle dress with clogs on her dainty feet. Anyway, you get the picture: they were hot

source: google

After seeing the impossibly fun and appealing show Kaiser Karl put together, I was convinced that clogs deserved their place in the fashion world. However, the highstreet versions did not win me over: Zara had some highly coveted pairs that were just plain ugly to me and looked completely ridiculous with my skinny legs towering above them. I also felt like they cut off the leg in a strange place, and weren't all that flattering as a result. Fine for models and some girls, but not for me.
source: google

I tried the first pair on, and even though they were extremely comfortable (did not see that one coming), they looked kind of awkward on me. So I classified clogs under "awesome in theory, difficult in real life".

And then this happened
Swedish. Hasbeens. I was head over hasbeens. How wonderful would they look with socks? With anything? Such a classic look that would probably never go out of style, perfect for summer and so fun! I haven't felt this way about a pair of shoes since over the knee boots. But swedish hasbeens are expensive. Out of my budget at 185 euro. Sadface. I stalked the internet looking for sales, but to no avail. And then this happened.


*cue choirs of the heavens*

The article links to a site that allows you to design your OWN clogs that look JUST like swedish hasbeens but are less dan half the price, and they ship ridiculously cheaply to boot!. 85 euro is still steep for sandals, but I have this feeling. It is called Love. I literally have butterflies in my stomach. And I think I'll take the plunge.
 source: google

you can have them in all kinds of crazy cute colors, and these are the available shapes. I think I'll go for the last one in a very simple neutral heel and black leather strap. I like them even better than swedish hasbeens!
But these are cheaper at about 50 euro:
 source: topshop

not nearly as nice though, right? Which ones should I get? How do you feel about clogs? Will you be buying some Magubas?

18 comments

  1. Love the yellow on you! I feel the same way about clogs - they look clunky and ugly to me, but the hasbeen style is so much cuter! The open toe and ankle straps also make it look a lot more summery :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to wear clogs in my first year of high school...back when NO ONE wore them. I felt silly but I liked them. Then they got worn out and I stopped and all of a sudden the world is drooling over them.

    I don't get it [shakes head] But you should definitely get a pair! They're really comfy. Don't wear them in the summer though...then your feet will just sweat a lot--yuck.

    Yasmeen

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have some wooden heeled sandals already and they are quite comfy so I know what I'm getting into :D the entirely closed clog look is a sweattrap indeed, I believe ya. I imagine all the clog types looking darling with tights or socks when the weather gets cooler!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ge moet es kijken of er een Scholl winkel ofzo bij u in de buurt is! Vriendin van me heeft hele mooie sandalen vandaar en ze zijn goed voor uw voeten! Als ik me niet vergis zijn ze niet zoooo duur! Op de website vond ik geen prijzen..

    ReplyDelete
  5. i'm so utterly won over by clogs too :)

    btw this is my first time on your blog, and i love it!

    check mine out: http://www.benchesandchandeliers.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. i try, but i will never like clogs. just can't do it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. talia; bedankt voor de tip maar de prijzen van de mooie schoenen zijn hoger dan die maguba's die ik daar gespot heb :D hier zie je prijzen:
    http://www.brandos.be/scholl/c261/?gclid=CL_Kro3rl6MCFZAz3godm3FqsA

    benchesandchandeliers: welcome! and thanks so much :D

    mysterygirl: I was like that too, but the image seeps in your brain and before you know it you love them. Fashion = evil!

    ReplyDelete
  8. happy B-day girl!!! I love erin of calivintage and her yellow clogs and I have been thinking about those topshop ones in brown, but than I choose wedges..

    ReplyDelete
  9. ik had dezelfde mening over clogs (vroeger vond ik ze afschuwelijk) maar tegenwoordig begin ik er ook meer en meer van te houden!
    die tussen de chanel clogs en die van de bloggers vind ik het mooist :) met veel bruin leer

    Siel

    ReplyDelete
  10. you kind of picture-talked me into them.. i choose stockholms with purple-pink soles and black upper part. but i won't buy them online without trying on, plus i mostly wear heals in theory, plus they're way to costly man. but you could buy them as a gift to (once again) yourself (:D) for all the hard work you'll have done in august!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey! it's noémie from chictopia, I haven't been on there for a while, been so crazy busy and hardly ever at my house, no time to stop! but then i really didn't want to miss all your awesome outfits, and so i came here, as i do once in a while :) and i absolutely love the combination of yellow and white and it suits you so amazingly! you look great! in terms of clogs they look cool but i find them too uncomfortable... + i look like a right moron in them (yes i did try in topshop!!) :p so anyway, i hope you're good and i hope i will actually find the time to get back onto chictopia, I haven't had time or reasons to take outfit shots in a while, it's been crapy weather and i've been in crapy moods with having to find places to live and jobs to pay the rent :s + my sis and mum were visiting last week and i spent half a week in scotland ;) love to see how good you look, ciao x x x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey! it's noémie from chictopia, I haven't been on there for a while, been so crazy busy and hardly ever at my house, no time to stop! but then i really didn't want to miss all your awesome outfits, and so i came here, as i do once in a while :) and i absolutely love the combination of yellow and white and it suits you so amazingly! you look great! in terms of clogs they look cool but i find them too uncomfortable... + i look like a right moron in them (yes i did try in topshop!!) :p so anyway, i hope you're good and i hope i will actually find the time to get back onto chictopia, I haven't had time or reasons to take outfit shots in a while, it's been crapy weather and i've been in crapy moods with having to find places to live and jobs to pay the rent :s + my sis and mum were visiting last week and i spent half a week in scotland ;) love to see how good you look, ciao x x x

    ReplyDelete
  13. you kind of picture-talked me into them.. i choose stockholms with purple-pink soles and black upper part. but i won't buy them online without trying on, plus i mostly wear heals in theory, plus they're way to costly man. but you could buy them as a gift to (once again) yourself (:D) for all the hard work you'll have done in august!

    ReplyDelete
  14. i try, but i will never like clogs. just can't do it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. i'm so utterly won over by clogs too :)

    btw this is my first time on your blog, and i love it!

    check mine out: http://www.benchesandchandeliers.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the yellow on you! I feel the same way about clogs - they look clunky and ugly to me, but the hasbeen style is so much cuter! The open toe and ankle straps also make it look a lot more summery :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have some wooden heeled sandals already and they are quite comfy so I know what I'm getting into :D the entirely closed clog look is a sweattrap indeed, I believe ya. I imagine all the clog types looking darling with tights or socks when the weather gets cooler!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Magubas are good exception of the polyurethane sole which nicks up easily- Hasbeens uses rubber and this is better for not slipping and long-term wear. However the Maguba have a better fit than Hasbeens whose leathers are harder to break into. However the lime wood used as a base on Hasbeens is higher quality than the varnished wood used for Magubas. I highly suggest that Maguba get rid of their polyurethane sole material and switch to rubber or something that has more durability with longterm use. The Swedish bottom soles on Sven clogs are also good and are made with a mixture of rubber and some other synthetic material but not the Austrian bottom soles they also sell which are polyurethane and nick up easily too. The Sven clog Swedish bottom is the best bottom sole you can buy, the woods bases of Hasbeens are of the best wood and the Maguba top leather/synthetic tops are the most comfy and have the the best fit. The best thing about Hasbeens is you can refinish them easily cause there is no varnish unless you put it on. Sven has varnish and the wood is not so good but they can be refinished too. I have never tried to refinish a Maguba clog yet but it appears to be much harder because of the varnish or dye used and the wood is not as high quality as Hasbeens. You can varnish Hasbeens with a clear wood floor varnish (omitting the wood portion for the footbed) to get a lasting wood, making them stay cleaner, and this will give them a pretty clink clink sound when you walk like a castanet. :)

    ReplyDelete