Return of the Classics: Mountain Dew and Oakley Frogskins

Over the past few months, my blog has reached the point where brands and PR agencies actually want to work with me. Sending me things if they think it will resonate with my readers, or asking me to blog about something. And even though I have days when I roll my eyes at certain emails about subjects that obviously don't concern my blog AT ALL (cough, fashion for toddlers, cough), very often I get messages about super awesome things that just make squeal of excitement or get on my knees in gratitude.

This week, two fun things ended up in my (real) mailbox. First, I received a message about Mountain Dew. Yeah I know my blog isn't really about soda pop, but you might know that I have a brother who migrated to America for love, and I once visited him. AMERICA. It was around Halloween, and every second was awesome. Malls and big containers and churches on every corner... And Mountain Dew. 


I had just turned 16 at the time and I had the sense of humor of a 13 year old boy (OK I still do), so I thought I was pretty hilarious for turning "Mountain Dew" into "mount and do (her)" because teenage girls get 99% of their self worth out of not being a "typical girl". Ya know being all "hey I listen to rock music, make crude jokes and play video games, PLEASE LOVE ME". Just imagine me frowning at my younger self's sense of humor.

ANYWAY, I have fond memories of that time even though I probably spent most of it sulking and pining for boys. I loved IHOP and I loved Mountain Dew. So I was most excited when I received an email that Mountain Dew is crossing the Atlantic (is that even the right ocean? I suck at geography) and coming to Europe! I received a kit to try out and I still like the taste. You can liken it to the standard Aquarius but with fizzy bubbles and a bit sweeter.

If you're interested, PAY ATTENTION: for now, MD won't be available in normal stores (apart from some selected Skate shops). Instead, you'll have to order it online on Mountaindew.be. Marketing 2.0? Cool! So go check it out, like the early adopter you're supposed to be!

Second cool thing: one of my sponsors, sunglasses-shop.co.uk, offered to send me a pair of sunglasses. I got to take my pick from their extensive online collection and ended up going for Oakley Frogskins: a retro classic with mirrored lenses sure to make even the lamest outfit stand out in a "my boyfriend is a surfing world champion" sort of way. And of course I went with pink.


Mountain Dew and Frogskins totally go together if you ask me, they both have that sort of American beach bum-chic thing going on. I call it Dude Where's My Car luxe.

I may have 9 years on my 16 year old self, but I still like to pretend I'm cooler than I really am.

10 comments

  1. Aaah, mountain dew <3 en ginger ale! Die zonnebril is prachtig trouwens, de kleur en mirrored lenses zijn echt vet. Gosh ik zou graag es in Amerika zijn met halloween. We moeten es samen gaan en dan nemen we de meest OUTRAGEOUS kostuums en gaan we trick-or-treaten!

    ReplyDelete
  2. dan ga ik naar een van die super enge haunted houses zoals BLACKOUT

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those sunnies are so rad! Very into mirrored lenses too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Die 2 passen inderdaad perfect samen! ze geven, naar mijn mening, beide een old school vibe! and I love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am in love with everything about this post. MOUNTAIN DEW IS THE BEST. AMERICA! And those sunnies are hotttt. Congrats on being such a superb blogger. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ohhhh my god, we really are twins. I am obsessed with Mountain Dew. It's a humiliating addiction. This post just blew my mind, mostly because I refuse to believe that you guys didn't have Mountain Dew before, but also because I am experience extreme sponsorship jealousy! LOVE ME LIKE I LOVE YOU, MOUNTAIN DEW.

    ReplyDelete
  7. hahaha when I visited America, I was equally gobsmacked that you guys don't have paprika potato chips (or if you do, it's not a popular flavour). Over here, paprika is like the no1 flavour apart from the normal salty version! You should totally mail them for a sponsorship YO

    ReplyDelete
  8. ja he! classics met een trendy kantje!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Oakley Frogskins is just awesome and cool.

    ReplyDelete