Born This Way Ball

So many things have been going down the past week, I have hardly been able to keep up with it all on my blog! Let's start with the most recent AWESOME happening: I went to see Lady Gaga's Born This Way Ball in Antwerp yesterday. I'm a huge Gaga fan (I wrote my master's dissertation on her) and I had already bought standing tickets for the show, but then Skype emailed me last week to offer me two awesome seated tickets so I gave my original tickets to my sister and her friend. Shared joy = double joy in my book.

As I'm typing, little monsters are counting down for Gaga's second Antwerp show and I SO wish I could go twice as well, as the the entire evening was so amazing. My boyfriend and me were seated at the front right of the stage, maybe 10-12 meters from one side of the Monster Pit. Gaga is an artistic mastermind as far as I'm concerned, and the entire show was planned to perfection. My favorite part was the Highway Unicorn intro: Gaga came in as an Alien Predator queen riding a unicorn, looking like one of the four horse(wo)men of the apocalypse. Iconic, dark and fantastical.


As Gaga slowly and ominously trodded by me, I actually felt a *PANG* in my heart. I'm not as big a fan as those that camped outside for a week to be sure of a Monster Pit Pass, but I have felt a connection with this young woman for the past 4-5 years. I have spent almost a year studying her and the motives behind her work for my master's thesis, and seeing her walk by only a few meters in front of me felt surreal. A tiny woman filled with inspiration and love for her fans, heading a huge tour that takes her away from her home, her loved ones and her privacy. 

It baffles me how people continuously repeat that she "tries too hard". How can anyone try too hard? Is success only acceptable when it comes without trying? She fights to get her visions realized, to reach people with her positive message and to change the world. One can simply not try hard enough if those are your goals. I look up to Lady Gaga in a big way, and I may or may not have blinked away a tear at some points of her act.

Of course not everything was perfect: for one I wish the show was even longer (which actually is a positive), but I also noticed her sounding a bit nasal and out of breath at times. Maybe Gaga had a cold. But even with those small faults pushing her beneath her usual vocal expertise, she still blows big pop stars like Rihanna and Katy Perry WAY out of the water. Safe to say, I'll be first in line to buy tickets for her next tour as well. GAGA 4 EVER

MAJOR thanks to Skype for the tickets!! Even though I was seated among a bunch of random people who were obviously not into it at all, determined to stay seated AT ALL TIMES which actually caused Gaga to give them all a tongue lashing forcing them to stand the fuck up. I was glad she did because I felt like an asshole standing upright on my own, but I hated her thinking I was one of those faux-fans :( :( :( GAGA I WUB U

And this is what I wore. My style has been a bit more edgy and Gaga in general lately, so I had an easy time picking out a special outfit I felt great in. Keywords: eyeliner, wild hair, denim, studs, bra, safety pins, fake ink, leggings and platform boots. Very Kelly Bundy.

 bra, leggings: H&M - vest: thrifted, DIY - boots: Ebay - earring: Topshop - watch: c/o Swatch - tattoos: Faketattoos.se, Tattooforaweek.com


PS: First day at my job tomorrow! EXCITED

16 comments

  1. Echt wel een leuke gaga-outfit! :d Ik ben vorige keer twee keer gegaan, en toch wel spijt nu dat ik dit jaar niet ben gegaan :(
    http://www.curlsandbags.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm never ever taking seats again! All those people sighing and looking mad at you if you stand up to dance to some awesome song. Hello, it's still a concert, if you don't like people having a good time, you should have stayed at home and watched it alone on DVD.. I always love going 'overboard' when going to a concert, even when I got to see Madonna for free, I still dressed up like a material girl :D You look great ;)
    Have fun at your first work day!
    Naomi -x-

    ReplyDelete
  3. IK WAS ER OOK HIHI...en aan je beschrijving te horen zat ik een verdiepingkje hoger en enkele vakken meer naar links! Jammer dat jij bij de suits zat! 't Was mijn derde keer en hoewel ik geen hardcore fan meer was het afgelopen jaar ofzo was ik tegen Hair weer helemaal weg van deze geweldige vrouw! (en hoe cool is het wel niet dat uw thesis over haar ging?!!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. En ik zat ook in een blok met niet een bende saaierds...iedereen stond wel recht maar veel gedanst of gezongen werd er niet. Still, that didn't stop us from having a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ik was wel weg van de nieuwe cd maar de laatste maanden is er niet veel nieuws gebeurd dus stond het bij mij ook op een laag pitje op obsessie vlak. But I still love the bitch <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dankje, maar wauw, daar heb ik echt nog nooit zo over nagedacht. Ook gewoon omdat Japanners zelf tegen mij zeggen dat het typisch Japans is om zo "shy" te zijn. En wat bedoel je met fotograferen van Japanners als exotisch? Wat is daar borderline racistisch aan? Ik vind het gewoon in het algemeen geweldig om foto's van onbekenden te trekken, en mensen van andere landen zijn nog fascinerender omdat je ze niet dagelijks tegenkomt. Maar ik vind het wel een interessant topic :)


    Dit is trouwens een heel coole outfit! Wat een leuke haarkleur heb je!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am really envious of you. And I hate it when I'm seated to people who watch concerts who don't even participate or just there for the heck of it.


    Good luck with the first day! =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Zo raar dat er bij jou niemand recht stond! Bij ons was het vrijwel de hele tijd dat mensen gingen recht staan, hoewel ik in het algemeen ook vond dat de sfeer soms wat flauwtjes was. But I had fun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hum, moeilijk om uit te leggen... Als je japanners fotografeert als exotisch dan komt het bijna over alsof je op safari bent en ze ziet als een specimen, een voorbeeld van een categorie, en heel erg anders dan wij. Ik SNAP het wel he en er is niks mis met het fotograferen van mensen die je opvallen, maar ik zou wel altijd hun toestemming vragen en daarbij geen veralgemenende uitspraken doen maar focussen op het feit dat het nog steeds allemaal verschillende individuen zijn. Ik denk dat de gemiddelde belg trouwens ook behoorlijk shy is als een buitenlandse toerist op hen afstapt :) op die manier over hen praten impliceert dat je het rassenonderscheid heel duidelijk kunt aflijnen, snap je?

    ReplyDelete
  10. You know I'm not a Gaga fan, but I sure as hell love that outfit!


    x Krizia


    Shark Attack - Fashion Blog

    ReplyDelete
  11. Super dat je er zo van genoten hebt! Heel toffe outfit ook trouwens, inderdaad perfect voor een Gaga-concert. En ik kan me al perfect voorstellen hoe je je voelde tussen allemaal uitgenodigde, niet-geïnteresseerde vip's, gelukkig heb je de eer van de seated tickets hoog gehouden ;) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Toch blij dat ik weer van de partij was! Je zag er zalig uit!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Man, I wish I looked half as cool last year when I enjoyed her concert.
    Next time, I have to attend again, I'm so bummed I didn't go this year!
    And to hell with seated vip's, buy a dvd then if you're not going to let go all night long! :-D


    <3

    ReplyDelete
  14. GAGA WAS FANTASTISCH. Net zoals je outfit, perfect om naar Gaga te gaan :). Wel stom voor jou dat er weinig sfeer in jouw blok was! Er was gisteren ook een blok uiterst links vh podium dat totaal niet meedeed, en Gaga had het ook door. Ze heeft het twee keer gezegd dat ze moesten rechtstaan (omdat al de rest dat deed). IT'S A PARTY, NOT A FUCKING FUNERAL, she said. Vond het toen wel grappig, maar kan begrijpen dat het niet leuk was voor een uitgelaten fan om in zo'n saaie blok te zitten. Ik heb bijna heel de avond rechtgestaan, ook al had ik zitplaatsen :D.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ah, so cool! Lady Gaga is someone I secretly love-- secretly, because her music isn't to Mr. Owl's taste, hehe-- and she's SO fantastical and weird in the most beautiful, strange way possible.
    Your eye makeup is amazing.

    ReplyDelete