Shu Uemura Volume Maker: Review

Volumizing powders have fascinated me since I read a piece on them back when I was way into 60s faux-beehives. I hate backcombing as it makes me feel like I'm killing my hair, one brushstroke at a time, so volumizing powders sounded like the perfect way to cheat myself out of that. When I was given the chance to review Shu Uemura's Volume Maker, I jumped at that opportunity!



The Shu Uemura VM separates itself from the competition with its brush. This supposedly makes it a lot easier to measure the amount you're using, and to spread it evenly on your flattened hairz. I have to agree with this, as the Schwarzkopf volumizing powder I also own just comes in a tube that looks and works like salt and pepper shakers: shake, and powder comes out of the holes. This makes it very hard to get the right amount in the right place. The brush and the dispenser button fix this problem perfectly.

Now, when it comes to the volume created, my experience is similar to the Schwarzkopf one: it gives your hair some texture and "grab", much like dry shampoo on slightly greasy hair. But you still need to poof it up every now and then. This might just be because of my hair type, but my volume deflates in no time. Whether I use hairspray or not.

I would suggest buying volumizing powders or texturizers if you like backcombing your hair for some volume as these are sure to give your hair even more grip. The powder is also a great way to get your hair more managable when it's freshly washed and all silky and slippery. However, don't expect this to be the miracle solution!


And now some pictures of ma hairz, all volumized!



To get this result (I imagine it would be a great base for more elaborate, voluminous hairdos) I brushed in a few clicks of Shu Uemura volumizing powder around my parting and at the crown of my head. If you have tips on volume, volumizing powders or backcombing, do share!

PS: I've just bought a new packet of bleach. I'm thinking of doing a more dramatic ombre again. Totally want to go purple, but I'm looking for a job and shiz! #firstworldproblems

PPS: I was having an EPIC eyebrow day, as you can see. LOOK at those badasses! The secret behind looking "done" is filling in your eyebrows, I'm telling ya. More is more.

18 comments

  1. Klinkt goed! Ik kan ook wel wat volume gebruiken, mijn haar valt altijd kaarsrecht naar beneden, nou ja, op enkele weerbarstige sprieten na :D Uw wenkbrauwen + make-up (eyeliner!<3) zijn echt supermooi, ik probeer nu ook mijn wenkbrauwen wat terug te laten groeien omdat ik ze te dun vind, maar dat gaat traag ö nu een rostkleurig wenkbrauwpotlood zoeken, haha :D ok nu stop ik met praten!

    ReplyDelete
  2. danku! ik vind het ook een mooie look maar ben er these days meestal te lui voor. Het aanbrengen vind ik leuk, maar het verwijderen is een pain in the ass :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love eyeliner, maar idd 's avonds haat ik het ook :D hmmm eens oogschaduw zoeken in mijn kleur dus!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Je haar is prachtig! En je wenkbrauwen ook! You're like, SUCH A BABE. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh look at you looking all glamorous in these shots. Glad you enjoyed the volumizer!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dat ziet er inderdaad erg goed uit, niet te "bepoederd". Kun je updates geven over het gebruik van deze VM? Of het lang houdt, of het je haar uitdroogt als je het vaak aanbrengt, of het een verschil geeft als je je haren nadien wast, .... ?
    Jouw ogen en wenkbrauwen zijn erg mooi opgemaakt, maar lange wimpers zoals de jouwe daar moet je mee gezegend zijn (ik ga binnenkort de Mangetic Lash Mascara proberen op mijn korte wimpertjes; ik heb er weinig vertrouwen in).

    ReplyDelete
  7. heb het ondertussen al gewassen en heb niets van negatieve gevolgen gemerkt! je haar voelt ook minder "plakkerig" dan bij de schwarzkopf versie.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ermahgerd! Ik heb net het videootje van Shu Uemura Art of Hair Volume Maker bekeken en ik wil óók zo'n enorme bos gestyled silky-smooth-looking haar! Touperen resulteert vaak meer in een ratennestje bij mij :/.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very seriously, Annebeth, you look SO good this way that you should do it EVERY DAY! Love the hair and makeup!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Het Schwarzkopf product heb ik nog niet gebruikt, eigenlijk geen enkele volume maker. De droogshampoo van Schwarzkopf ken ik wel van toen mijn haar nog erg lang was. Ik vond vaak dat er een mat laagje achterbleef en van een ander duurder merk jeukte mijn hoofdhuid ontzettend. Tegenvallers dus.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I used to do it almost every day last year! But now I'm more into natural make up, summer and stuff. Sweating in eyeliner sucks :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looking really great there! I looove your brows, they are perfection! The eyeliner is really gorgeous too! I have the shu volume maker as well and I love it, because it's not as sticky as some powders do. It seems to work great on you too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Je ziet er idd super uit! Je haar is zo mooi. Ik doe ook alles voor wat volume in mijn haar!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for sharing I will need to check it out! LOVE shuemura products
    LOVE your blog and you are sooo pretty :)
    Follow each other????****ZARA gift certificate giveaway for $400 on www.fashion-a-holic.com*******

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh! Je haar is super!
    http://mangelmoes.blogspot.be/

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ha! I was wondering what looked different about you (besides your hair), the eyebrows look incredible

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looking goood! Ik heb het nog niet echt kunnen uittesten, maar je haar ziet er alleszins supermooi uit zo.

    brunetteblogging.com

    ReplyDelete