Travel: Top 5 places to eat on Curaçao


Hi guys! About half a week ago, I stepped off the plane after a beautiful week in Curaçao. My first proper press trip, my first time on the island and the first time since I moved in with my boyfriend that we've been apart for a week! Just so you know kids, just because you've turned 31, that doesn't mean you don't have any new experiences ahead of you anymore ;-)

My experience with Curaçao was everything I hoped it would be and much more. I was amazed by how much variety this tiny little island has to offer, in architecture, nature, culture and food. We had a wonderful guide who showed us around and introduced us to some of the gems the island has in store, but there's still so much more left to explore on a next visit. However, I feel happy to pass on the knowledge I've already acquired to any future travelers!

FYI: we flew there with Tui, who are offering direct flights once a week from Brussels Airport (with a short stop but no real transfer in Costa Rica on the way to Curaçao) up until the end of October, so if you're itching to visit the island from Belgium, this is the time! 

Let me first tell you about my top 5 places to stop and enjoy all of the culinary pleasures this Caribbean paradise has to offer.



Travel: Top 5 places to eat on Curaçao

The first place on my list is the last place we ate at before driving up to the airport. Number 10 is run by Liberty Suares, an entrepeneur who has a knack for gorgeous interior design, making good, healthy food and giving sup yoga (yoga on a surf board) classes. I wanted to take the entire decor of Number 10 home with me, but I'll settle for that instagram-perfect pink beet latte. Liberty is a perfect example of the numerous young, talented women we met who are taking Curaçao to the next level by starting up cool new initiatives. The entire concept of Number 10 would even stand out in trendy cities like Antwerp or Amsterdam, let alone Curaçao.


Travel: Top 5 places to eat on Curaçao
Travel: Top 5 places to eat on Curaçao
Travel: Top 5 places to eat on Curaçao

Second on my list, not necessarily trendy but authentic and quirky (just the way I love it): Williwood. This place has so much to offer! A lively atmosphere (especially at night), a Hollywood knock-off sign with some history, a lake that draws wild flamingos just across the street, and a Curaçao delicacy: goat meat burgers. Apparently these are an acquired taste, but I just found it tasted like lamb. Maybe slightly more pronounched in flavour. I'd strongly recommend the kabritu (goat) burger with goat's cheese, the flavours compliment each other perfectly, and the sweet potato fries are divine.


3) Cooking workshop + lunch/dinner with the Caribbean Spice Girl

Travel: Top 5 places to eat on Curaçao


In third place, probably the best food we had on the island: the dishes we cooked ourselves under the guidance of Helmi Smeulders aka the Caribbean Spice Girl. As soon as we stepped in and were presented with tempura string beans + truffle mayonnaise, I knew we were in for a treat. Helmi gives modern Caribbean cooking tutorials for groups of a minimum of 6 participants, at 99$. It's a program that will last a full morning or afternoon and ends with an opulent meal you cook in group, and you'll leave with a booklet of recipes, a stomach full of some of the best food you'll ever taste, and a head full of culinary inspiration. I had an amazing time and would recommend this 100%.


4) Landhuis Misjé

Travel: Top 5 places to eat on Curaçao
Travel: Top 5 places to eat on Curaçao

Do you love pure, healthy Caribbean flavours served on the deck of what seems like someone's backyard, with open views on the hills of Curaçao? Then you should drop by Landhuis Misjé. We had ceviché about 6 times in some shape or form during our week on the island, but the ginger-laced version we had at Misjé was the best, hands down. I also had the most gorgeous mahi mahi fish tacos. And we discovered awa di lamonchi, a lime lemonade that was the perfect thirst quencher on a ridiculously hot day. The food is honest and impeccable.


Travel: Top 5 places to eat on Curaçao
Travel: Top 5 places to eat on Curaçao
Travel: Top 5 places to eat on Curaçao

Finally, I recommend City Beach 88. This is a dreamy beach bar in the middle of colorful Pietermaai, Willemstad that serves delicious thin crust pizzas. Every time we were here the place was rather quiet, but I actually thoroughly enjoyed the peace - I could spend a whole night here chatting with friends or even just reading a book, listening to the waves crash against the shore. There are beach beds, a pier and comfortable lounge sets. They provide cocktails and pizza, you only have to bring your chill. And some anti-mosquito products.

And that's my top 5 of where to eat on Curaçao! There's loads more recommendations on my Instagram, be sure to check the Curaçao highlights reel.

No comments