Beauty: Guerlain cosmetics F/W16 review

Guerlain cosmetics FW 2016 review

A couple of weeks ago, my girl Nathalie picked me up and we drove down to Brussels to check out the new beauty products Guerlain has added to their cosmetics line for fall/winter 2016. We took part in a really fun makeup workshop (slumber party vibes aplenty when you're in a room with 10 beautybloggers doing their makeup), and were given a range of products to take home for a proper review. Read on for a closer look at the new foundation brush, Lingerie de peau foundation, multi-perfecting concealer, two new palettes 5 couleurs, the cils d'enfer maxi lash mascara, the l'art du trait precision felt eyeliner and the new Kiss Kiss lipstick shade review.

Guerlain foundation brush review

First up, this stunning pale pink brush. If there ever was a beauty pageant for brushes, this baby would surely get high ranking. The hairs are incredibly soft, and the slightly rounded not-quite-buffing-brush placement of the hairs is very pleasant to work with. You're supposed to use this brush working in small circles, buffing the foundation into the skin, which gets you a very nice, heavier coverage that smoothes over all imperfections even if you use a lighter foundation like the Guerlain Lingerie de Peau. I have to admit I still prefer working with sponges, because they give the most natural result on my skin, but if you're into brushes (and ready to splurge €48) this one is worth checking out.

Guerlain Lingerie de Peau foundation review

I always think that in the game of makeup, two players make the biggest difference: brow products, and products that give you a nice, even base. Foundations and concealers are gamechangers, and since I reviewed a wide range of different foundations when I was looking for my new everyday base, I feel like I know my stuff when it comes to this subject. The Guerlain lingerie de peau claims to even out your skintone with a natural, skinline and velvetty finish, comes in a range of 18 shades (warm, neutral and cool skintones are covered), and boasts SPF20. The multi-perfecting concealer is supposed to hydrate the skin so that it doesn't exacerbate dry patches you want to cover up, and comes in 6 shades (cool and warm).

Guerlain Lingerie de Peau foundation review

As you can see, the Lingerie de peau foundation (€56.50) is almost like a runny mousse: light, airy and thin, but also kind of fluffy instead of watery (omg these descriptions are killing me). The 02N and 03N are surprisingly close to each other in shade, and perhaps on the peachy/warm side of neutral. I love how this foundation feels and looks on first application (glowy, like velvet!), but it does seem to turn sort of oily on my skin quite quickly (just check out the pictures at the bottom of this post, which were taken about 3 hours after applying foundation). Which is strange, because I do not have oily skin. Unless you like your foundations really dewy, I'd advise you to bring the powder and blotting papers along if you wear this one. Still, the finish is absolutely lovely, skinlike and comfortable. Very nice for dry skin.

The multi-perfecting concealers (€36.50) are thick and creamy, and they make a pretty big leap between the 01 and 02 which are super light (yeay!), and the 03 which is quite dark all of a sudden. The coverage is great, but I did find that the concealer gets a bit patchy after a while because of it moving around on my skin. Maybe my skin just doesn't need all that hydrating under the eyes, but if you have a dry under eye area this one is lovely.

Guerlain Lingerie de Peau foundation review

The results speak for themselves, right? Amazing coverage for such a light foundation, and the glow is just lovely. If only the foundation didn't get so oily on me, I'd have a new holy grail product! However, it might work better for me in the winter when my skin is drier. I'm wearing the 02N foundation and the 01 concealer here, btw! The 02 concealer was too pink on me.

Guerlain palette 5 couleurs review

Guerlain also launched 6 new eyeshadows quints (€60.50), and these are the two I got to review: Tonka Impériale (on the left) and Coque d'Or (on the right). Both come with two double sided applicators.

Guerlain palette 5 couleurs review

On top, the Coque d'Or palette, which resembles Urban Decay's Naked original in shade selection: warm gold and brown tones with some green on the side. All the shimmery colours are nicely pigmented, but the two mattes on the side are a bit of a letdown and need some work to deliver colour. On the bottom, the Tonka Impériale which is a gorgeous range of sumptuous praline brown shades, and one balletslipper pink/white duochrome. All colours have nice pigmentation and blend beautifully, the staying power is also perfect. I really love Tonka Impériale, a stunning high quality everyday palette.

Guerlain cils d'enfer mascara review

We were shown to finish the look with the Guerlain cils d'enfer mascara (€32.75), which has become a new HG mascara for reasons that will become apparent soon. A bristle brush that performs perfectly, despite my recent preference for rubber spiked mascara wands, and a gorgeous geometric, pale gold tube make this product a showstopper. But let's take a look at what it does!

Guerlain Cils d'enfer mascara review

Yasssss, I was totally floored when I applied this macara - just look at that gorgeous separation and curl! It almost looked like I was wearing natural, wispy false lashes. This mascara just keeps getting nicer as you keep combing the wand through your lashes, instead of going clumpy and spidery.  It also barely smudges on my brow bone (my number one mascara issue) and is very easy to remove at the end of the day without rubbing my eyes out. Gorgeous product!

Guerlain Lingerie de Peau foundation review

And this is the full makeup look using the foundation, concealer, Tonka Impériale palette and mascara - perfect for a super flattering, classy everyday makeup look. Love it!

Beauty: Guerlain cosmetics F/W16 review

Finally, the l'art du trait precision felt eyeliner (€35.60), to add a bit of oomph to the look in case that's you're thing. The eyeliner has a super fine tip and is perfect for precision work, but it's hard to use enough pressure to get super black pigmentation out of it in one stroke. I find that it works best by dragging it across the lid sideways, using it horizontally instead of as a true pen - if that makes any sense! A stiffer felt tip would be better for true precision work, but it functions nice enough for a sharp eyeliner tip.

Guerlain l'art du trait precision felt eyeliner review

Almost finished! Final new product in the fall line up, the new Kiss Kiss lipstick shade (€37.00): Fall in Red. Can you resist swooning at that gorgeous tube?? Definitely the type of lipstick that adds pizzaz to your makeup table (or in my case, my ever overflowing bathroom countertop).

Guerlain Kiss Kiss Fall in Red lipstick review
Guerlain Kiss Kiss Fall in Red lipstick review

Despite its name, the lipstick isn't a true red, it's more like a balmy rose colour. Classy, subtle, flattering on basically every skintone, and it feels soft and hydrating on the lips. Another great crowdpleaser!

Finally, let's zoom out to see the full look!

Beauty: Guerlain cosmetics F/W16 review

As you can see, the Guerlain Lingerie de Peau gets quite dewy/almost oily after a few hours on my skin - not that that's necessarily a bad thing, it looks very natural and glowy. However, the dewyness does highlight the texture on my forehead, which I prefer a bit more mattified. Like I said: if your skin and preferences are similar to mine, I'd suggest bringing a powder compact or blotting sheets when you wear this foundation. I love how all of the products work together, the look reads very French: elegant but relaxed and natural. I can dig that.

And that's it! I hope you enjoyed my review, if there are any more questions - fire away. The Guerlain FW16 line is available in stores right now.

No comments