Beauty: Bourjois Rouge Edition Velvet Grand Cru and Nude-ist

Let's start this beautiful sunny weekend with a make up review. Today, I'm going to talk about the Bourjois Rouge Edition Velvet lipcreams in Grand Cru and Nude-ist, two of my current favourite lip products.

Bourjois Rouge Edition Velvet lipcream in Grand Cru and Nude-ist review

I used to be a lipstick-always kinda gal, because I generally prefer the smooth, creamy feeling of lipsticks over the slippery stickiness of glosses. However, over the past year or so (probably since picking up Essence's lipcream dupe for Velvet Teddy), I have grown fond of other formulas. Liquid lipsticks have some really cool qualities that I enjoy when I want a heavy duty, hyper pigmented finish, but lipcreams are the kind of product you throw in your purse when you want to combine the best of both worlds: the soft lipfeel and ease of re-application of creamy lipsticks, combined with the staying power and sumptuous, semi-matte pigmentation of liquid lipsticks.

I have heard many good things about the Bourjois Rouge Edition Velvets, and I was eager to try these for myself. In general, I am most partial to rosewood shades: darker nudes with a big of rosey brown thrown in there. Picking Nude-ist was a no-brainer, in other words, but since it's fall and the holiday party season is coming up, I also allowed myself to take advantage of the Kruidvat sale that was going on by adding Grand Cru to my basket.

Bourjois Rouge Edition Velvet lipcream in Grand Cru and Nude-ist review

When I swatched the different shades in store, I immediately noticed how Grand Cru seems to have a different consistency from the other colours. While the other colours are more like Nude-ist in that they are more creamy, thicker and thus hyper pigmented whether you apply them sheer or more thick, Grand Cru sort of sheers out at the edges to a colour that is more fuchsia than red. That means that Grand Cru takes a bit more work to look perfect than Nude-ist, but the end result is totally worth if you ask me.

Bourjois Rouge Edition Velvet lipcream in Nude-ist review
Bourjois Rouge Edition Velvet lipcream in Nude-ist review

It's hard to truly capture Nude-ist's colour in pictures, because a muted pink like this strongly interacts with your skintone. On me, the colour is more pink than nude, but it's the type of flattering, neutral pink that works for many complexions and make up looks. This one has become a constant presence in my handbag, filling that gap between brighter pinks and neutral beiges and brick-nudes I usually wear. Gorgeous product! 

Upon application, the formula is liquid and creamy, but after a little while the product dries down a bit and becomes more matte and more saturated. It doesn't "set" like liquid lipsticks, though, the product remains creamy and smooth on the lips. No drying whatsoever. The staying power is similar to liquid lipsticks: the insides fade when you eat and drink, but most of the colour remains on the lips, even leaving a stayin when you remove the lipcream altogether. Reapplication is much more practical than with most liquid lipsticks, though, because you don't get those crumbling bits of dried buildup that I hate so much.

Bourjois Rouge Edition Velvet lipcream in Grand Cru review
Bourjois Rouge Edition Velvet lipcream in Grand Cru review

As you see, Grand Cru has a slightly different formula, becoming sheer along the edges. However, if you apply and then leave the product to set before reapplying where needed  (or use a lip pencil beforehand), you still get a pretty flawless finish. And man, is that colour worth it. A gorgeous, rich ruby red that goes on like smooth velvet and is semi-matte with a subtle lustre. Seriously, one of the most stunning reds I've ever worn.

This one is prone to smudging, though, and because it is so hyperpigmented, it's not easy to just wipe off the smudges with a fingertip. If you wear this one on a night out, I recommend packing some good concealer to clean up any smudges when they happen. You'll thank me later.

The Bourjois Rouge Edition Velvets retail at €14.19, for example here at Kruidvat. Nude-ist is currently out of stock, but I'm sure it will be back soon. Beautiful product, totally worth the pricetag.

No comments