My summer makeup routine

Hi babes! It's been a while, but I enjoy dropping in from time to time for a little update. As I'm writing this, the sun is blazing and we have another couple of hot days ahead. Summer 2022 has been pretty great where Belgian weather is concerned, reminiscent of those totally crazy days of the first lockdown in 2020 when we basically lived in our backyard. The climate just keeps getting hotter and global warming becomes more and more apparent, sadly.


Of course the sunny days also have their positive sides - barbeque parties with our lovely new neighbors, floating in the kiddy pool, long late evening walks and living in my favourite outfit (bikini + shorts). I'm also embracing the summer vibes in my current beauty routine, which is what I wanted to write today's blogpost about since I've been having so much fun with makeup again the past few months. Most of the products I use can be bought at Douglas if you're from BE or NL - they often sell these products at a lower price point compared to other beauty stores, which is always nice.

Most of the products I'm using have been favourites for years, others I've discovered recently! But the look I'm doing combines some current trends I've been seeing on TikTok:

  • Liquid blush as bronzer
  • Lip stains
  • Faux freckles
  • Soap brows
  • Siren eyes
I may be a millennial but I love adapting my routine and following the younger generation's playfulness.




And here's the products I'm using:

Estee lauder Double Wear foundation

Maybelline Superstay Matte Ink

Guerlain Terracotta bronzer

Anastasia Beverly Hills Dipbrow

Guerlain Terracotta perfume

My Double Wear foundation I've only started using a couple of weeks ago. After looking for a new foundation for a while and asking around on social media, I was recommended this one by Estée Lauder because it had the features I was looking for: medium coverage, great staying power, blurring effect with a satin finish and a great shade selection. I apply it with a Beauty Blender, straight over 50 spf and it just creates this lovely natural looking finish. 

I follow up my foundation with bronzer & blush, and I've been LOVING the trend of using a liquid blush applied quite heavily and horizontally across the cheeks and nose bridge to mimic a 'sunkissed' look that is just so fresh faced and cute. Another pro tip: no need to buy liquid blush, you can just use one of your old (liquid) lipsticks or lip tints for this! I love my Maybelline Superstay Matte Ink lipsticks so much but I don't go for a matte liquid lip as often anymore, and this just gives my beloved products another lease on life. 

Be sure to blend out fast though, you don't want it to set before blending! And I like using my blush quite high under the eye, inspired by Japanese and Korean beauty trends. Also helps hide dark circles btw. I add my Guerlain bronzer around the face and across the nose because I like the extra depth it brings, but this is not a necessary step.

Next step: brows. The sharp, harsh brow look that Anastasia Beverly Hills Dipbrow was associated with when it first got its hype has gone out of style, but it's just a matter of how you apply it. I apply it with a lighter hand without creating strong lines, and brush up my brows with a spoolie and some soap to get that soap brow look.

Moving on, time for the eyes! I bought the Too Faced That's My Jam palette after falling head over heels for Fire Opal the green duochrome shimmer eyeshadow that's featured in Pat McGrath's Mothership V palette. The Pat McGrath palette is just a bit too much to spend on makeup for me at this point, and That's My Jam covers my need nicely. I use the top row second from the right shade in the inner corner blended out to the mid eye (applied with my finger tip). For the siren eye, I use the bottom row rightmost shade applied with an angled eyeshadow brush. Finally, I finish off with two layers of mascara and a spritz of my favourite summer fragrance, Guerlain Terracotta perfume.


On the lips I prefer a gloss or lip tint these days - Benefit Gogo Tint is a nice option! And A really nice finishin touch is applying some fake freckles across the nose bridge. Pro tip: place your freckles in clusters of 3-5 freckles instead of spacing them out evenly/randomly, it gives a more realistic and natural effect. The Lime Crime freckle pen looks great.

Hope you like the look!



No comments