Beauty: H&M metallic Dazzle Lip Topper

Beauty: H&M metallic Dazzle Lip Topper review

I've told you about my metallic lip obsession before when I reviewed the Milani Amore Mattalics. When I develop a crush on a new type of product, it can be difficult not to just want to buy one in every available shade. I mean, I hadn't even THOUGHT about metallic lipsticks before the trend started gaining traction, and here I found myself lusting after options from Jouer (Papaye) or Limecrime (Blondie). Not exactly a wallet friendly way to go about things, especially considering that metallic lipstick is a trend, not a new classic. 

You know what IS the perfect way to add some metallic sheen to your lipcolour collection? Lip toppers! I had my eye on the Notoriously Morbid Changeling topcoats for a while (definitely worth checking out), but I prefer being able to swatch lip beauty products before I buy them so I never took the plunge. When I spotted the Dazzle Lip Toppers at the H&M beauty counters, however, I was SIKED! I ended up taking home two tubes, Glisten Up and To Boldly Glow. Let's take a closer look.

Beauty: H&M metallic Dazzle Lip Topper review
Beauty: H&M metallic Dazzle Lip Topper review

First thing you notice about the Dazzle Lip Toppers is that they are super watery in consistency, nothing like a gloss or a liquid lipstick, truly like glitter/metallic water. That's not necessarily a bad thing, just be sure to store your tubes horizontally - the liquid and the shimmers separate, and it's easier to shake everything into place again if you've put them away flat instead of standing up. Also, be careful when you pull out the wand so that you don't spill any of the liquid. The tube comes with a doe foot applicator that's angled and soft, pleasant to use.

Beauty: H&M metallic Dazzle Lip Topper review
from left to right: Glisten Up over bare skin, To Boldly Glow over bare skin, NYX Transylvania with Glisten Up and To Boldly Glow layered on top.

Glisten up is like a silvery pale blue shimmer, more like a glitter than To Boldly Glow which is more opaque and metallic. Both work just as well over a nude or over your naked lip as over a darker colour. I feel like Glisten Up pops most layered over a dark base, and gives a subtle, ethereal result over a nude lip. To Boldly Glow is a rose gold and looks prettiest over a nude colour if you ask me, a dark base makes the colour seem more like a flat champagne silver instead of the rose gold goodness you see over a lighter base.

Both lip toppers work best over liquid lipsticks because this allows them to "set" perfectly transfer proof, giving a lasting metallic effect. Using them over a regular lipstick is possible, but as soon as you press your lips together, the shimmer will get mixed up in the lipstick formula and not be as bright anymore. I also like them over a clear gloss, which won't let the lip topper set but the sheen will remain beautifully visible. I feel like the lip toppers do reduce the wear of my liquid lippies, making them more prone to break down when I eat a meal, but that doesn't bother me much.

Lip swatches!

Beauty: H&M metallic Dazzle Lip Topper Glisten Up
Beauty: H&M metallic Dazzle Lip Topper Glisten Up

Glisten Up is surprisingly wearable over a nude lip, giving a cool, light blue/lilac/silver shimmer depending on how the light hits it. I simply love the effect, SO cool and flattering despite the slightly otherworldly vibe. It's like UD Solstice Moondust for your lips!

Beauty: H&M metallic Dazzle Lip Topper To Boldly Glow
Beauty: H&M metallic Dazzle Lip Topper To Boldly Glow

But To Boldly Glow is my bae. I'm just such a sucker for rosegold anything, and I love using it to create custom metallic liplooks with varying shades of neutral lipsticks. In the pics above I've applied it over NYX Lip Lingerie in Bedtime Flirt, so pretty! And below, I've layered To Boldly Glow over H&M Route 66.

Beauty: H&M metallic Dazzle Lip Topper To Boldly Glow
Beauty: H&M metallic Dazzle Lip Topper To Boldly Glow

I can't stress enough how very much I'm into these lip toppers. Go get them while they're still available because these basically allow you to double your lip colour collection. The H&M Dazzle Lip Toppers are just €7.99 if I remember correctly. Are you feeling it?

No comments