Beauty: Maybelline Vivid Matte Liquid review


Hiya! Maybelline recently launched a new range of lip products, seemingly jumping on the matte liquid lipstick bandwagon with their Vivid matte Liquids. I received these three shades to review (there's ten different shades in total), let's take a look.



The shades I will be showing you today are 05 Nude Flush, which is a slightly dusty Barbie pink (totally not a nude); 45 Possessed Plum, which is a plummy purple; and 35 Rebel Red, a true red. The shade selection isn't super wide, but the 10 available shades offer everything from a neutral nude to an orange, a bright fuchsia and a purple, so there's plenty to choose from. The Vivid Matte Liquids have a faint vanilla type scent, and they come with a fluffy doe foot applicator that is soft enough to feel pleasant on the lips, yet stiff enough to allow for precise application. However, if you're a neat freak, I suggest you use a lip brush or a lip pencil first.

Let's see what these look like in action.

Beauty: Maybelline Vivid Matte Liquid review

This is Nude Flush. As I said, not at all nude, but a sweet, slightly muted pink. I really like this colour on me, but as you can see: this product isn't matte. I can also tell you that it doesn't set after a while, it remains slightly slippery and is very transfer prone. However, I do like the lipfeel of these, which is like a soft mousse texture. These are more like lipcreams than liquid lipsticks, I think.

Beauty: Maybelline Vivid Matte Liquid review

Rebel Red has the same "issue": not matte in the slightest. This one actually looks super glossy, like a candy apple or like lip vinyl. But damn, what a stunning true red. I don't think I've ever owned an ultra pigmented (this is just one coat!), super glossy true red, but it looks amazing and I was quite impressed by how neatly it applied without being super careful or using a lip pencil! I just applied it straight from the tube and it looks great. I've had comments on how my lip swatches aren't as neat as the ones you see on some other blogs, but that's a conscious decision: most of those super neat lip swatches are photoshopped to death and I'm sick of the fake perfection. Also, I have very translucent skin so the "bleeding" or "messed up" edges you see are just veins showing through my foundation. Moving on!

Beauty: Maybelline Vivid Matte Liquid review

Finally, this is Possessed Plum. This is my least favourite of the three because it was more prone to patchiness, the formula being quite a bit less opaque than Rebel Red. This one would definitely look better with a lip pencil underneath, unless you want to go for that sort of grungy look.

In short, these are NOT matte, nor do they set to become transfer-proof. They are 100% miss-marketed, though! I've seen plenty of bad reviews of these even though these are perfectly lovely products, just because of the vivid matte name. Maybelline should just stay true to the product rather than try and ride the matte lip wave, because there's plenty to love here if you like a bright coloured, satin/glossy formula that does not dry the lips and is easily reappliable (a big issue of most matte liquids). The matte-factor varies a bit from shade to shade, as Nude Flush is obviously more semi-matte than the other two, although it's still satin rather than matte.

These retail at €6.99 at drugstores.

Have you tried any of Maybelline Vivid Matte Liquids? Would you prefer them to be matte or do you like what you see?

No comments