Kylie Jenner Lips - Best Rose-Brown Lipstick Shades for Fall

As I promised you earlier, I still owed you a post on this season's prettiest lip-colour which is obviously inspired by Ms. Kylie Jenner. A shade that is just a bit darker and more "done" than a classic "my lips but better" shade. I spent some time browsing the internet and my local drugstore for the best rosey-brown lipsticks for my particular colouring, and I'm happy to tell you that there really are loads of options depending on your preference for undertone, finish and price point! Today I'm reviewing five lipsticks. No lip glosses or stains or whatever, because I personally just prefer lipstick.

I'm going to swatch, review and show you guys the following products: Rimmel London x Kate Moss 03 as well as 08, Essence Barely There, Catrice Maroon 020, and Mac Velvet Teddy.


kylie jenner lipsticks velvet teddy rose brown review

kylie jenner lipsticks velvet teddy rose brown review


All of the lipsticks come in minimalist black tubes, and except for Velvet Teddy, all of them have a sticker on the bottom showing the colour. Which is quite handy when you're rummaging in your purse or make up drawer looking for that one particular shade. Right now, Velvet Teddy is my only MAC lipstick, so it's quite easy to pick out from my other lipsticks, but if I were to amass a huge MAC collection it could become a hassle to look for a certain shade. I think I like the Rimmel London tubes the best, because of the red Kate signature and the slanted top.

In the tube, Rimmel London x Kate Moss 03 looks very similar to Velvet Teddy, but it is definitely not a dupe. On the lips, both feel and look completely different.


kylie jenner lipstick velvet teddy review


I tried to get a good price range within my selection so there would be an option for every budget. Ironically, the most expensive and most affordable shades are my favourites.


kylie jenner lipstick velvet teddy review


As you can see, these shades are definitely within the same range of rose-browns. Rimmel London x Kate Moss 03 and Velvet Teddy look very similar in close up, but take my word for it: when you see them from a distance, the two are very different. Rimmel London 03 is lighter and a lot glossier, while Velvet Teddy is entirely matte and settles into a lovely medium brown-brick red sort of shade on my lips. The two are also the most brown out of the bunch: the lipsticks themselves don't really have any pink in them, that dimension is added by your own lip colour.

Rimmel London x Kate Moss 08 and Essence Barely There, on the other hand, are the most pink, but still very neutral and natural. Catrice maroon 020 is probably closest to my own natural lipcolour, and can be described as a medium brick red.

Velvet Teddy is the only matte shade, I'd describe Essence Barely There and the Rimmel London shades as satin, with the Essence lipstick being slightly less glossy and noticably more durable which means you won't have to reapply as often. The Catrice lipstick is very glossy and not high on longevity - it's almost a glorified lipgloss, so you will be reapplying all the time. Velvet Teddy lasts ages on me unless I eat greasy foods, and while it doesn't leave your lips feeling smooth and supple like a gloss or a satin lipstick might, I don't find it dries out my lips. And I really do have dry lips, so that's saying a lot!

I added some pictures of me wearing the lipsticks, because a close up always looks very different for some reason.


kylie jenner lipstick velvet teddy review
kylie jenner lipstick velvet teddy review


As you can see, Rimmel London 03 is a lighter, glossier shade than Velvet Teddy, and it leans much peachier. Velvet Teddy is my ultimate favourite because I'm quite a big fan of the matte look. In my opinion, Essence Barely There comes closest in finish and feel. Which might be a nice surprise for you because Barely There is actually the most affordable out of the bunch, and a whopping 16€ cheaper than Velvet Teddy. So if you're on a budget and you want a look similar to Velvet Teddy, check out Essence. If your natural lipcolour is lighter than mine, you might want to try Essence's Dare to be Nude, which is similar to Barely There but lighter and more brown-leaning, making it potentially even more like Velvet Teddy.

Which one of these is your favourite? Are you as into rose-browns as I am?


5 comments

  1. Goeie post! Super dat je ook full face foto's doet, vaak zie je op makeup blogs enkel swatches op de arm of mond close-ups, vind ik echt moeilijk om in te schatten of ik er mee zou staan. Ze staan jou allemaal heel mooi trouwens! Die Essence lijkt mij wel goed qua kleur en prijs, haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ik vind het zo'n enorm verschil als je een volledig gezicht ziet uit een normale outfitpost vs close up met optimaal licht! Al de lipsticks zijn "in het echt" donkerder dan in de close ups, behalve die Rimmel London 03 die dan weer lichter is in het echt. En afhankelijk van het licht lijken ze de ene keer meer rozig, en de andere keer meer bruin. Keimoeilijk om dat juist weer te geven :-D

    Ik zou die Barely There en Dare to be Nude van Essence zeker uitproberen, aanradertjes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Velvet Teddy staat op mijn wishlist. Mijn barely there favorieten:


    Rimmel London x Kate Moss in 07
    Bobbi Brown in Washed Seashell
    Kiko liptint in 107
    Tom Ford in Casablanca

    ReplyDelete
  4. yeaaay recommendations! nog nooit tom ford of kiko geprobeerd, nu ga ik googlen.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kiko is heel goed! (verzenden vanaf 20euro naar belgie)
    Daarnaast zou ik ook Nyx cosmetics nog aanraden! Die hebben ook zo'n kleuren (bij Douglas in NL te verkrijgen)

    ReplyDelete