Pink Ombre Hair! DIY Tutorial

We're all pink on the inside, right? I love that quote. But I love my new pink hair even more. I had been going back and forth on dyeing my ends in some whacky color for months but FINALLY I took the plunge and went for some proper Grunge/Proenza Schouler hair! 

AND I'll tell you how I got my look.

1. Start with: 


 I had prelightened my hair of course, since my dark brown, almost black hair wouldn't show a lot of color after dyeing. I started out with my ombre hair which I had just touched up myself by backcombing sections of my hair and bleaching the tips for a good gradient effect. My hair looked like this before going pink: my natural dark brown color on top and gradually lighter towards the ends with the lightest bits being blonde but the overall ends being more like a light brown/ginger. If you want a brighter, lighter end result you will need to bleach the hair some more, especially if you want your ends to be blue or another cool color. Warm colors take well on my ginger ends, and I wanted the result to be subtle and natural so this was light enough for me.


2. What You Need


I bought one of those professional hairdye brushes at my local drugstore (Kruidvat!) for like 1,30 euro or something, and I ordered Carnation Pink Directions hairdye at Beeunique.co.uk for maybe 10 euro (shipping included). Other things you need are a dirty old towel, plastic/rubber/latex gloves, a plastic bag, a hairclip and someone to help you with the back of your hair. If you play it smart like me, you'll have your accomplice do your entire head of hair instead of just the back, HA!


In my case, that accomplice was my sweet boyfriend who had to force his hand into some way too tiny gloves (actually bought them my size, haha) and kept stressing over screwing up my hair. He would be the worst hairdresser ever as he keeps going "oh no I think this will not end well", but he always works really careful so I totally trusted him.

3. How to Dye Your Hair


I divided my hair into sections: first I let my boyfriend dye the lower third of my hair while clipping up the rest. He just used the brush to grab the dye from the container and brushed it onto my ends, trying to cover all of the hair. When one layer was done, we jammed it into a plastic bag that I held in place to allow my boyfriend to dye the next layer easily. Not a necessity, but easier. Other methods would probably work better so just be creative! Be sure to cover ALL the lighter patches as a gradient from dark brown to light brown to pink just looks weird most of the time unless you have very long hair.


When all the hair is covered in dye, put it into the plastic bag and hold in place with a big hairclip or a rubber band. Again: be creative. A shower cap would work too. I sat in the sun for a while with my hair like this to allow the heat to amplify the color taking to my hair, but this is not necessary. You could use a hairdryer as well.


4. The Result


I left the dye on for about an hour and a half and then I rinsed it out with cold water. I poured some vinegar over the ends to get the color to set properly and then I rinsed again (my hair still smells a tiny bit vinegar-y but not too much :-D). And this is the result! SO PINK AAAAAA I LOVE IT

But after drying and styling it a bit (which in my book just means I combed my hair) it looks very subtle, almost like "natural" pink, and quite sophisticated. I love it to bits.


The color will fade over the next weeks and you will be a witness to that process.
Next up: I'd love to try out more weird colors now as this pink hair totally tickles my fancy. Maybe some orange or bright red? Or maybe a dark blue? ANYTHING'S POSSIBLE PEOPLE

If you have any questions, just ask!


PS:
GUYS! River Island is having another student night, and all you students are invited! This time there will be even more gift vouchers to win (one every 15 minutes rather than 2 every hour), a best outfit of the night will be picked (winner gets 250 euro worth of vouchers) and of course the entire collection will be available at 20% off! SO! Print out those flyers, bring your student ID and come on over to River Island on the 28th of september from 18:30 until 21:30! 
Extra treat: there will be free beauty advise from Kiehl's professionals!


Here's the facebook page, register if you're going to visit! :-) I'll be there, please say hi and we'll have loads of fun!

59 comments

  1. Wow, your hair looks fabulous! I admire your courage though, it definitely paid off!

    Cat xxx
    http://www.takecourageblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. The pink ombre looks really good! It's a good way to try out crazy colors because it's a lot more subtle than dying your whole head pink. I think it's awesome that you are brave enough to go for unconventional colors. I'd be interested in seeing other colors if you decide to do this again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow, i love your new hair. you did such an amazing job. what i like best is how subtle the transition is. really cool!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am SO going to do this now, total copycatting haha =D It looks AMAZING on you, sooo fabulous and I'm going to be super jealous until I do it myself =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. haha be my guest, I can't wait to see your version!

    ReplyDelete
  6. thank you! it worked out better than I hoped!

    ReplyDelete
  7. AAAH SO MOOWIE! :-D Alle kleuren van de regenboog proberen, het is echt superleuk en elke keer als ik naar m'n haar kijk word ik blij!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! Superleuk!!
    Staat je echt zo goed

    xxx
    Laura

    http://the-shoe-issue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh it's so fun and vibrant! I love it. The pink ends look really great on you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for giving us the tutorial!! I do want to try the lilac... so we shall see. MAYBE haha :) It looks gorgeous Annebeth! xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Whaaa het is supermooi Annebeth!!!!! Ben echt jaloers. Ik wil allang hetzelfde doen maar ik kan mijn haar gewoon niet zo lang groeien als het jouwe (sta er niet mooi mee en vind het irritant als het zit te kriebelen in mijn nek haha). Misschien toch een poging doen in de toekomst, vind het echt cool!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So funny and cute that your bf did this! lol :) love the way this looks on you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oooh, I love it! It's so pretty, and pink looks gorgeous on you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. écht PRACHTIG! Ik wil zooooo graag regenboogpuntjes haha :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. omg! im in looooove! i cant believe your boyfriend agreed...i was so nervous when i bleached my friends hair for her. the pink is soooo pink and fades perfectly into your natural hair...love love LOVE. i'm tempted to buy a green shade off that site u linked. keep me posted on how long it lasts :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. It looks great, love it! I got my boyfriend to dye my hair last time I did it :D xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great combination, I love your new, grounge and super cool look!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. OMG je haar is echt FIERCE zo ! En dat bedoel ik positief :D Als ik het zo zie krijg ik ook zin om m'n punten te verven :D

    ReplyDelete
  19. Good job! I want to do an ombre also, but mutliple colored ends

    ReplyDelete
  20. This looks SO good, I'm so impressed with how it turned out, you look gorgeous. And thoroughly make me miss my pink hair!
    xJennaD

    ReplyDelete
  21. Very cool! Love this tutorial! I also adore how your bf did it for you!

    ReplyDelete
  22. omg youre so brave!! it came out awesome!

    <3 steffy
    Steffys Pros and Cons

    ReplyDelete
  23. i absolutely LOVE it!!! my husband said no for me to do mine the same....but i'll convince him yet!

    ReplyDelete
  24. So much fun! Thanks for the tutorial. You look great.
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  25. I adore this!! I had pink ends several years ago and I absolutely loved the look!! You look gorgeous, what a lovely choice and I can't wait to see some outfit posts with the new hair -yay! xo veronika

    ReplyDelete
  26. Your hair looks so good! I don't have the cojones to try this but I absolutely admire your DIY

    La Petite Marmoset

    ReplyDelete
  27. mmm deep red would be cool, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. I like it much more than the blond one!

    ReplyDelete
  29. this looks awesome, you look so edgy!! and super lols to you dying a bit of your cat! i love that.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Looks fab! Cute and playful - certainly suits you!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Love it! Staat je echt leuk :D maar niet voor mij, hoor! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  32. so cute! You really wear it well :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. I am loving your locks! And you are making me miss my own fun-colored hair. I had used manic panic midnight blue on my black hair and it faded in a beautiful peacock colored palette... maybe i'll do it again!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Het is echt geweldig!!! You look amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Hi there! Great look! Where could i get those type of colors in Belgium? Thx!

    ReplyDelete
  36. I'd love to this, but is that specific pink of Directions as vibrant as your photos? I'd really love to find this colour: http://snapwidget.com/view/?id=362037834692192641_15536305#.UOqYgaX-fHM.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Yep, my pictures represent the color faithfully! However, this pink was desigbed to fade to pastel quickly, if you want fuschia i suggest you'd get an even brighter shade to get more wear out of it! Maybe flamingo pink?
    Subject: [thestylingdutchman] Re: THE STYLING DUTCHMAN.: Pink Ombre Hair! DIY Tutorial

    ReplyDelete
  38. Ah great! I guess I just have to try the different shades now and then. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  39. I couldn't check the photo you shared on my phone but I just got home and I saw it. It's more like a lavender pink, right? I think you'd have the best chance of getting that exact color by mixing a light purple with a light pink! and if your base color is still yellow/orangey: even it out by using more blue, because the two colors balance each other out. Hope it works out!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Yeah it's kind of lavender, you could say that. hmm thanks for the tip! ^^ I think I'll try out mixing purply and pink, it should work with my hair, it's light blonde. Thanks a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  41. no prob, crossing my fingers for a great result!

    ReplyDelete
  42. I'm really nervous about bleaching/dying my hair, as it is almost black, and I really don't want to damage it. Was your hair really damaged after you bleached it? and did you use a lot of heat on it prior to bleaching?

    ReplyDelete
  43. Hiya! it all depends on a lot of different factors: is your hair thick or thin? Is it already damaged or not? Is it brittle or hydrated?

    my hair was in pretty good condition I guess: I don't really use heat styling tools, and it hadn't been dyed. I bleached it into the orangey-dark blonde levels (absolutely light enough to get some pink/purple/red on there) and the damage wasn't too bad. I did get split ends sooner, and it got a little harder to brush through the ends. But that's also because my hair was getting longer. I wouldn't say my hair ever looked or felt unhealthy after bleaching! The dye is vegetable based and basically a colored conditioner, so it nurtures your hair rather than damage it. Any more questions: ask away!!

    ReplyDelete
  44. Coming from a professional cosmotoligist o specialize in color i mess with ombres alot just as well as bleach. Bleach will damage the hair no matter what type of condition it is in, it has ammonium in t leaving the cuticle open its the developer volume that you use a 10 is less damaging 40 is the most damag. Also if you put color in your hair not [dye] you should wash hair in cold water to close the cuticle up but if it has been bleached the cuticle remains open known as swells good luck dont take advice from anyone unless there licensed or in school

    ReplyDelete
  45. Green cancels out yellow orange not blue of you use blue it will turn green so use a green toner to cancel out the yellow orange

    ReplyDelete
  46. I'm sorry but I think you're wrong. Green = yellow + blue. If you want to take the yellow/orange out of it, you wouldn't want to add more yellow to it by using green toner. Toner is usually purple, which is what I was steering Sari towards, but the warmer her base colour is, the cooler her dye should be to counter it, so blue-ish purple is the way to go.

    ReplyDelete
  47. Of course bleach damages the hair, but it doesn't have to be noticeable damage and it doesn't have to look unhealthy. That's what Maggie was asking about.

    ReplyDelete
  48. Wow I miss my crazy colors! Other then the basics, I have done blue, green, purple, and lavender. I think I should do pink now. Only this time ill only do the tips instead of my whole head :3

    ReplyDelete
  49. I Love it and I Hope mine turn pastel.. hehe
    My blog
    Angelriu.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  50. Is this hair colour possible to do yourself?

    ReplyDelete