Pan Am

A few weeks ago, my darling Harriet surprised me by sending over a dress she never wore but reminded her of me, along with the skirt I am wearing today. The dress is adorable and I'll show it to you soon, but it's the skirt that posed a challenge: I absolutely ADORE the shape, print, fabric and pleats, but the grey-greenish color really screams granny. Now, a lesser person might walk past this piece and discard it based on the granny vibe, but I shall not do so! I knew I had it in me to style this skirt in all the right ways. 

However, how should I go about doing so? Toughen it up? Nah, would look as if I'm trying too hard. Simply retro with my usual style? Probably too granny/boring. But what if I'd throw some humor in the mix? When life gives me lemons, I shall put on a tribute to those lemons because lemons are pretty awesome. Lost you there, didn't I? What I'm trying to say is: if a piece is challenging, just take it all the way there: don't "tone it down" because that will look as if you don't know what you're doing. My advice is to go big or go home. So if your skirt is a little too literally retro, go with it! 



And that's what I did. Ladylike all the way with the spectator pumps and small purse, but done my way with a bit of humorous quirk by going for lilac nails and a double floral that brings out the pink in the skirt rather than the greyish green tone, topped off with this seriously silly scarf tied around my neck. I felt like a proper flight attendant (hence the title), but I feel this outfit totally works. The black and white of the pumps and purse don't go with the skirt, but the top ties it all together by combining pink-white-black. RIGHT?

I'm totally smug about this success. In fact, I will take this opportunity to do a little Peggy Olson twist. And no Pete Campbell will bring me down.

blouse, purse, scarf: T2 vintage
skirt: Gift from Harriet
shoes: Zara
ring: Alex Monroe
nails: Hema

UHU GURLFRIEND


Even Pete approves!

28 comments

  1. Ik vind die rok helemaal niet granny! I like it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. in het echt is ie grauwer, en toch makkelijk om slecht te combineren! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a cute outfit, it's so true somethings we take something and try to push it in another direction instead of just doing what that piece is meant to do. This is great, I really love the skirt and can personally imagine it being quite versatile with many other things!! Loooove the peggy/pete reference, Shes so cute when she does the twist
    xJennaD

    ReplyDelete
  4. Against all odds this actually works perfectly. I might have to have another go at my frumpy grannie skirt that's withering in the closet as we speak.

    Loving your recent posts lately, just too flat-out busy to comment on them all!

    $200 jewelry giveaway at my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. as long as you drop by now and then it's okey girl, enjoy your free time after finishing the thesis!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your skirt is truly so beautiful! <3 I love love love the colours of your outfit!

    x
    Lost in the Haze

    ReplyDelete
  7. Supergoed opgelost inderdaad, heel erg leuke outfit, ik dacht geen moment 'bomma' toen ik de outfit zag!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm loving this mylady, echt goed gezien alweer van u. En het sjaaltje is echt cool :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. so gorgeous, i love the little flight attendant twist ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looove this! You did a great job, I probably would have given up because I'm not brave, haha
    http://www.closet-fashionista.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. cute outift :D
    I'll definitely will following you if you follow me :D
    Decimal Shoes

    ReplyDelete
  12. great outfit,love your shoes :D
    I'll definitely will following you if you follow me :D
    Decimal Shoes

    ReplyDelete
  13. You did an AMAZING job! This outfit is great, and the colors of the top are gorgeous!

    xoxo

    DressingDaly.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm in love with the shoes and the skirt doesn't look so granny type in photos. You were still able to rock 'em!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I can not believe how good the double floral looks here. Usually it just doesn't work but girl...this works on epic proportions. :)
    -Tiff

    ReplyDelete
  16. Tres chic! Now go and knock 'em dead!

    oxoxoxo
    amy
    http://bridechic.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. ahhh! this is so fun and light hearted. who would have thought to mix those prints!! i love this. I think i play far too safe. i need more fun in my wardrobe

    ReplyDelete
  18. Just to let you know... I basically Pin every outfit of yours on Pinterest. You are too darling!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Would have never paired it that way and I totally agree it's a major succes :-) peggy-swirl is so appropriated :-D

    ReplyDelete
  20. harriet is so sweet. i really love this outfit, the mixing of prints is genius!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Very nice outfit, I love the colors very match! and the combination of different floral patterns is really succesful!! I fell in love with the scarf's color though!!It's one of my favorite colors!

    ReplyDelete
  22. ah voila nu gaat het, had problemen met de comment! anyway, this is so so you and what a smashinig choice to clash! the black and white shoes are a fabulous idea indeed! i love your clashing style, this makes you unique! it is always tricky but not for you! you know how to do it! one of my favorite outfits because of the pastel colors and amazing prints

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your skirt looks so lovely indeed. how nice!! I like the new layout too. If you have had it for a while, I hadn't noticed it until now (and I see all your posts).

    ReplyDelete
  24. leuke schoentjes!
    x
    http://givemetruthloveandfreedom.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  25. you look darling, I love the shoes!
    and I've seen a cool gif with peggy dancing (the scene in the pic), but I don't remember where :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. War haal je het toch altijd, zo leuk gecombineerd! Heel mooie rok, en het lijkt helmaal niet oma-achtig, gwn heel origineel :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. I adore how you styled the skirt Annebeth! It's so totally unexpected, but it works!! This is why I knew it would be awesome to send it to you. You did me proud :') (getting emotional) haha! I can't wait to see the dress on you!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I am totally digging this awesome mix of florals!

    ReplyDelete