High Tea at Domestic Antwerp and Influencer Clichés

High Tea at Domestic Antwerp

Two weeks ago, I met up with my dear friends to enjoy a high tea at Domestic in Antwerp. I had been wanting to do so for ages, because the pink salon is basically what Instagram dreams are made of, and I ain't above that. Not to mention that Domestic Bakery has some of the most delicious pastries and bread around (get their sourdough and their lemon curd pie!), so I was sure the food wouldn't disappoint either. The perfect spot to enjoy some quality time while sipping on that good tea and sampling sweet and savory bites. Definitely worth the 34€ per person.

Of course I couldn't contain myself from taking some pictures of that gorgeous interior. Enjoy!

High Tea at Domestic Antwerp
High Tea at Domestic Antwerp
High Tea at Domestic Antwerp
High Tea at Domestic Antwerp
High Tea at Domestic Antwerp

For 34€ you get a salmon bread roll, a slice of bread with pumpkin cream, olives and chicken, a spring roll, mushroom toast, a scone with cream and fresh jam and three little pastries (lemon curd pie, chocolate pie and a layered white chocolate cake), plus a range of teas and coffees including refills. We all definitely had enough to eat, but my boyfriend would have left with room for an extra bite - whether the portions are large enough depends on your appetite!

High Tea at Domestic Antwerp
High Tea at Domestic Antwerp

I also sneaked in some shots of the golden salon - also gorgeous, but the pink has my heart. I do feel a desperate need for a gold/mustard velvet couch now.

High Tea at Domestic Antwerp
High Tea at Domestic Antwerp
High Tea at Domestic Antwerp

As someone who blogs/spends time on Instagram/doesn't shy away from all of those influencer clichés, but is very aware of those clichés being a potential killer of originality and creativity, I often wonder whether I should refrain from posting about places like these. We're all visiting the same spots and photographing the same corners and liking each others posts. It's a self-referential world where true creativity and unique angles are rare. But in the end I enjoy beauty, whether it's cliché or not. There's a reason why some of the best things end up becoming cliché: they spark joy for most people.

And I'm not about to stop enjoying pink velvet and high ceilings just because that makes me an influencer cliché. Might as well enjoy the ride! And honestly, rolling our eyes at the typical influencer aesthetic isn't free from misogyny. Or have you ever heard anyone ridiculing the classic masculine interior featuring leather couches and mahogany furniture? Didn't think so.

Cheers!

High Tea at Domestic Antwerp

No comments