Beauty: MAC x Chris Chang review

Beauty: MAC x Chris Chang review

About a week ago, I received a box full of MAC goodies. I know, I freaked out too!! MAC is a huge deal in my mind, and being picked as one of the bloggers that gets to review MAC products is just so incredibly cool. I am very proud right now. And I bet you guys are always ready to take a look at gorgeous beauty products, so this is a total win-win situation. Today I'm reviewing a collab MAC did with Chris Chang, the Shanghai designer behind Poesia, a colourful brand that takes its inspiration from bright folkloric costumes. As you can see, the products are vibrant, but so is that stunning kaleidoscopic packaging! I literally swooned when I unpacked these. I know that this collection was released back in May so I'm not exactly timely with my review, but these products are still available online. And if you feel like you need one of these beauties but can't find them in store/online, there's always Ebay or the Estee Lauder Factory Store to try and score an invite to!

Let's get to it.

First up, the gorgeous DDDevilish matte lipstick! FYI, the collection also boasts lippies in yellow, light blue, a greyish lilac and bright orange.

Beauty: MAC x Chris Chang review
Beauty: MAC x Chris Chang review

Seriously, that packaging. I don't think I've ever owned a lipstick tube that tugged so fiercely at my heartstrings. Stunning! I remember I used to have an actual kaleidoscope as a kid and I was totally obsessed with it, which probably explains why I'm so head over heels with this baby. Thank god it doesn't disappoint on the lips.

Beauty: MAC x Chris Chang review

DDDevilish is a light, neon bright matte pink that applies smoothly and creamy. Colorwise, Bourjois Rouge Edition in Rose Neon is a dead on dupe, but the texture is totally different: not as opaque, and not matte. I love DDDevilish as a popping shade on a bit of tan, but it looks just as nicely on pale skin. This also wears well, fading evenly and leaving a bit of stain on the lips.

The Cream Colour Base in Peony Pavilion is next.

Beauty: MAC x Chris Chang review

I hadn't tried any of MAC's cream colour bases before so I wasn't sure what the product would do exactly, but apparently the product is very versatile, its use mainly depending on what colour and finish you get. Peony Pavilion is a dewy matte medium pink, which makes it most appropriate as a cream blush, a cream eyeshadow base for pink based looks, or possibly even a colour corrector underneath the eyes if you have severe dark circles. I used it as a cream blush and swatched it next to my & Other Stories Swivel Pink cheek and lip tint.

Beauty: MAC x Chris Chang review

From left to right: Swivel Pink sheered out, Swivel Pink applied opaquely, Peony Pavilion (yes I did a typo, but  don't want to edit the picture again, sorry) sheered out, Peony Pavilion applied opaquely. The colours are very similar when blended out, but Swivel Pink is more powdery, and less easy to blend as you can see by the fact that both colours sheer out similarly while Peony Pavilion starts out much more saturated, giving the product more versatility in use. The Chris Chang collection also offers an orange cream colour base, and a dirty lavender one, both of which would probably work better as cream eyeshadow.

Finally, the eyeshadow in Electric Mandarin.

Beauty: MAC x Chris Chang review

Electric Mandarin is a beautiful, rich, warm matte orange that will work equally well blended out as a transitioning shade, or built up to a rich colour. I swatched it next to Makeup Geek's Mango Tango for comparison as it's the closest colour I own.

Beauty: MAC x Chris Chang review

As you can see, Electric Manderin (yes I did another typo omg shoot me) is brighter than Mango Tango, and creamier in application. However, if you'd use them patted on over a white cream base, these would look very similar. The Chris Chang collection also offers a bright yellow, light blue and neon pink eyeshadow.

I put together a look inspired by my visit to Japan and the MAC x Chris Chang collection and I love how it turned out!!

rainbow eyemakeup

I used the NYX Jumbo eye pencil in Milk as an eyeshadow base and it worked sooo well, my makeup truly popped and it looked great all day! On the eyes, I used NYX' primal colours in Hot Yellow and Hot Pink as those colours are similar to the ones used in the Chris Chang collection, with a starring role for Electric Mandarin center lid. On the lips, I did an ombre look dabbing some foundation along the edges and applying DDDevilish just to the center. Finally, I applied Peony Pavilion high and quite strongly on the cheekbones, mimicking the igari look that's so popular in Japan right now. I totally loved the end result and I hope you do too! Now go and have fun with bright makeup!

No comments