Review: Clarins Teint Haute Tenue 03 Ivory

Hi guys! I've been reviewing some foundations for you lately (click here for my reviews of Lancôme Teint Miracle and Diorskin Nude) as I'm looking for my perfect high end foundation. I don't want to diss drugstore brand foundations, but I feel like I'm ready for the next level. There's a confidence that comes with a flawless look that stays put all day, and I'm down for that shit.

Today, I'm trying a sample of Clarins Teint Haute Tenue in shade 03 ivory: a medium-high coverage foundation with a matte finish and a neutral undertone, retailing at 30€ at Ici Paris XL. This makes Clarins Haute Tenue the most affordable of the three foundations I've tried until now. The formula is thick, very pigmented (which means you don't need a lot of product to get nice coverage, has SPF15 and claims to stay put for 15 hours. I don't know who'd actually need 15 hour coverage (Superwoman, perhaps, or politicians?), but in my experience, beauty products overstate their merits, so a claim of 15 hour perfect wear should be interpreted along the lines of "stays put really well". In addition, unlike most other long wear foundations, this one claims to be suitable for dry as well as oily skin.

Let's take a look at what it does for my dry/combination, sensitive skin.

review blog clarins teint haute tenue foundation
left: nothing but moisturizer, right: Clarins Teint Haute Tenue

Clarins does what it promises: it provides great coverage and a matte finish. Of all the foundations I've tried, I'd say this one covers discolouration best.

review blog clarins teint haute tenue foundation

The colourmatch is pretty good as well, as there is no noticeable colour line along my jaw. However, when we go in for a close up, you'll see why I'm not loving this foundation as much as I should.

review blog clarins teint haute tenue foundation

Just look at my forehead: if you have ANY sort of dry patches or or unevenness, this foundation will emphasize that. If you want Clarins Haute Tenue to look perfect, you'll have to moisturize and exfoliate like crazy. Additionally, even though the display said that this product was suited for all skintypes, I'd recommend it to people with normal to oily skin.

I'm sounding very negative, but the foundation did look quite nice when used with a my regular make up look.

Products used: 

- Sleek Face Form kit in Light (contouring and highlighting powder)
- Gemey Maybelline Volum' Express mascara
- & Other Stories eyebrow powder "4"
- Mac lipstick in Velvet Teddy
- Park Avenue blush "01" 


review blog clarins teint haute tenue foundation

A true matte finish, as you can see, and great coverage that is only slightly diminished by product clinging to dry patches. And I have to say: it really did stay put for an entire day, without any shine or fading at all. Check out below what the foundation looked like after 13 hours of wear. I did not use primer, setting powder or blotting papers, nor did I touch up my make up in any way. The artificial light (and my lack of lipstick) isn't very flattering, but you get the picture. I could definitely go out after just touching up my eyes and lips.

review blog clarins teint haute tenue foundation

Conclusion: great product if you have oily skin, don't mind doing some prep work, and/or want a flawless look that will last all day. Not recommended for dry skin, or people who want their make up to look natural without effort. I'm glad I tried this sample, because now I know for sure that I prefer more dewy foundations. For some reason, I always look more tired and less healthy when I use a matte foundation.

Hope this is of help, if you have any questions: shoot!

4 comments

  1. aah mooie review! lijkt mij ook niet echt 100% iets voor mij aangezien mijn huid meer naar het droge neigt

    ReplyDelete
  2. Voor mij niet echt iets, ik heb ook een droge huid Maar voor jou werkt het precies goed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ben er toch niet weg van, te droge huid :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hm zou bij mij ook niet goed komen, mijn voorhoofd heeft dat ook snel met foundations

    ReplyDelete