Closet Overhaul: Organizing and Essentializing

So! As I told you before, I've been cleaning out my closet (literally) over the last week. I've got bags of stuff lined up to be donated - seriously, like 8 trash bags at least. Lots of things I wasn't ready to get rid of last year, but I am now. I'm pretty sure I've thrown out more than half of my stuff this time around and I totally love it. Yeah, I like shopping, but tons of random crap that doesn't speak to you anymore just really weighs you down, you know? I need space and - yes, even though I'm not the neatest person out there - I need order.

So! I've cleaned out, eliminated and organized, and this is the end result.

(btw I apologize in advance for the font, I thought it was fun at first but after doing a gazillion pictures with it I am SO SICK OF THE STUPID CUTESY FONT but the editing took me ages so I'm keeping it like this, sorry)
(btw2 interior photography is hard yo)



This is two IKEA Portis clothes racks lined up in our bedroom for the hanging part of my wardrobe, featuring the pieces I wear frequently (there's another small batch in a closed closet - party dresses and winter coats etcetera, items I don't need that often). There's two rows of shoes at the bottom which is where I put the footwear I don't wear every day.

First you've got my business tops: blouses and the like. Blazers after that, and then there's my work appropriate skirts and dresses. In the back I put my casual gear: tops, dresses, skirts. I've chosen to organize my wardrobe based on occasions in a way. That's how my mind and my style work. I take occasion and weather in consideration and then I assess what sort of look I'm feeling for the day: pants or dresses? Sexy or fuck-off? Understated or bold? Etcetera etcetera. This way of organizing makes getting dressed a lot easier, for one because I know where to find everything now!



And then you've got the new IKEA Mandal six drawer block I'm completely in love with. Before I bought this, I had my bras stuffed in shoe boxes at the side of my closet and my swimwear in a plastic bag at the bottom. My panties are still in shoeboxes, but that's just to keep them organized in the drawer so I can make the most use of the available space. I feel so accomplished now. Everything is so easy to find, yay!



And here's the folded part of my closet. The top shelf looks so neat because I refolded everything, it's usually a lot messier but let's pretend it isn't, OK. And yeah, I have a lot of sweaters. I think sweaters are my favourite garments yo. I should totally refold those too though. They look kinda shabby compared to the top shelf.

Let's move on to the list of essential pieces that make up my wardrobe now. Can't-live-without's. You'll notice that I don't mention any jeans except for my denim cut-offs. This is not because jeans aren't a necessity for me, but because they're a bit boring to photograph, you know. Also not featured: mini skirts. This post is long enough as is!



This piece is from COS, I acquired it in the sales. One of the few things that actually have me excited for cooler weather because this dress is seriously the bee's knees. The cat's meow. Haven't worn it for outfit pictures yet so you'll have to take my word on this one though. Great for both work and chilling. The swing dress/t-shirt dress silhouette is great for versatility in general, especially if you're not a huge girly-girl yourself and still want to look refined without the hassle of picking out tops and bottoms.



 If you really like a piece and it is comfortable, flattering and versatile (a word I'm using way too often): don't be afraid to just get it in two colours. I like this particular silhouette because it's as basic as a pencil skirt, but just a tad more fun. You don't have to add accessories and shit to look special thanks to the peplum hem. See me wearing it here and here.



Don't need to explain this, do I? A beautiful white shirt really is essential to basically any wardrobe. Just find a cut and fabric that works for you. Oversized is a total must for me, and I don't like classic shirt collars on myself so this Mao-esque collar is just perf. See it in an outfit here.



Another piece I've yet to wear in an outfit are these fancy jogging trousers by Selected Femme. I snapped them up in the ASOS sales and they have this sort of skinny-slouchy fit. The combination of the thick, dirty grey knit and the peachy side panels makes these casual as well as chic. Just imagine them with that blouse from earlier and some pumps. NICE, right?



Sweaters. Can't live without them. Also, I seem to really be into grey melee right now. I still dislike solid greys though, SO BORING.



Because some days, you're just not into quiet minimalism, right? The leopard Zara blouse has been a favourite of mine for a few years now (you can see it featured in an outfit here and here), and the gem-printed pencil skirt is from the ASOS sales.



Oversized, cotton t-shirts are indispensable. I like the tiny flecks of white in the navy-grey fabric. Details like that really make a garment look more expensive than it really is. This one's also from ASOS btw.



You know when I said I can't live without sweaters? Make that "I can't live without sweaters and shorts". These boyfriend-fit Levi's were thrifted and I cut them off myself. I paid about 3€ for these. Major recommendation. I think I've been wearing them every other day during the recent heatwave. See me wearing them here, here and here.



And then there's shoes! Everything a girl like me needs: ankle boots (enkellaarzen), sneakers and a pair of comfortable, versatile pumps. Not pictured but also the apple of my eye (feet): SANDALS. The pictured ankle boots are from Koah by the way, and they are perfect. Definitely worth the investment, especially now that they're marked down.



Finally this Ikea Expedit shelving unit in our hallway where I store the shoes I wear all the time so I can just grab them before heading out. Also, this way they get the love and attention they deserve by being showcased like decorative pieces.


So! Do you have any organizing/essentializing tips? Was this post helpful?


18 comments

  1. mijn kleren liggen verspreid over twee adressen ugh en ik moet op beide plaatsen nog eens rommelen :p Goed gedaan ze! Doet deugd als alles weer netjes is!

    ReplyDelete
  2. dankuuuu! en ja dat is hatelijk, het perfecte recept om gerief kwijt te spelen :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. uhu en ook om altijd hetgeen je nodig hebt ergens anders te hebben liggen...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ik wil ook zo'n georganiseerde closet! Mijn kleren liggen verspreid tussen mijn kamer thuis en mijn kot, super irritant want ik heb nooit het juist kledingstuk bij dat ik op dat moment wil dragen! Ik vind zo'n rek echt veel handiger dan de kast die ik nu heb, die is echt niet overzichtelijk. En mijn schoenen staan ook in zo'n Expedit kast op mijn kot, in de rij onder mijn handtassen, boeken en servies haha. Kot-inrichting ftw!

    ReplyDelete
  5. hahaha expedit: goed voor ALLES :D en idd, ik verkies rekken ook boven kasten. Tenzij je megafancy kasten hebt met ingebouwde verlichting enzo :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have the same dresser now! I also have the matching bed. It's pretty amazing, right?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know which one you mean, we almost bought it too! I love the headboard that goes with it as well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ik moet ook dringend alles nog eens opruimen; ik heb de laatste tijd echt het gevoel dat alles zo cluttering is, dat er gewoon te veel is :D Eens werk van maken op een druilerige dag!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mijn kleerkast is op kleur gesorteerd haha! Vind ik handig want ik let waarschijnlijk het hardste op kleuren als ik mij kleed. Ik ga binnenkort verhuizen naar Antwerpen en ben nu al aan het nadenken hoe ik mijn kleren ga organiseren, ik ga sowieso ook voor zo'n rekje! Nu nog iets (cheap) voor mijn t-shirts en truien en schoenen!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yaaay! I got some different shelf compartments from Ikea to organize my lingerie drawer (http://www.ikea.com/be/nl/catalog/products/20219597/), makes picking out underwear and socks almost fun :D And I use command hooks for hanging up my belts and some of my necklaces, jewelry is an awesome way to help decorate your room :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ik ga binnenkort samenwonen en doe graag organiseerideetjes op :) interessante post!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ik heb laatst ook mijn kledingkast grondig uitgeruimd. Bij mij is inmiddels de rechterkant op kleur gesorteerd, de linkerkant moet ik nog doen!

    www.fashion-freaks.be

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm deciding I need to clean out my closet too. I love this post! Super motivating and really makes me think what pieces I need and what I love. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, great job with the closet clean-out and organization! I really like that Ikea dresser! Any chance you'll be selling any of your clothes or are you donating all of them? I would totally think about buying some, though I do live in the US.

    ReplyDelete
  15. uhm, is there anything in particular you're thinking of? I'm dropping off the bags tomorrow so I could see if I could fix something up for you! I'm not going to photograph everything because it's so much stuff and I'm not sure anyone would be interested!

    ReplyDelete
  16. cool! heb ik ook net gedaan. heeeel veel weggesmeten ook! Ik heb enkel happy pieces nu die ik echt echt echt mooi vind! btw, trainspotting poster<3

    ReplyDelete
  17. Superleuke post! :) Ik neus graag (digitaal) in andermans kast ^^ Ik ga binnenkort op kot, dus dat wordt ook een vestimentaire uitdaging...

    ReplyDelete
  18. You're totally inspiring me to do a closet overhaul! I always keep random clothes I don't even wear. I love the idea of shoes being on display near the door...so doing that when I have my own place!

    ReplyDelete