DIE FOKKEN ANTWOORD and Swatch Scuba Libre

I just had to talk about this some more before going on with my life: the Die Antwoord show was awesome. AWESOME. I'd never been to the Couleur Café festival before but it turned out to be really fun, with a lovely atmosphere and great food. I'd definitely visit again, especially if some top class act like Die Antwoord were playing.

I've been a huge fan of Die Antwoord since FOREVER. I've even blogged about them in the early days of this blog (plz ignore my awful photo's :-D), so yeah we go way back. I love Yolandi's creepy-raver-punk-rapper-ethereal-trashy aesthetic, I love how Ninja is obviously a very smart man who knows what he's doing (DGAF, keeping it real), and I love their weird ass, tongue in cheek lyrics and artistic videos and I LOVE the fact that they rap in Afrikaans which is such a cool language. Oh, and their trashy beats make me wish I had been around in the days of techno - but not really, I need some rap to cancel out the brain-numbing beats.




But MOST of all I love how they rock that "lower class", trashy look without being ironic about it. Yolandi has had the same mullet haircut for about ten years (with or without bleach), I like that kind of realness. I've always hated it when people looked down on "trashy" style like fake nails and hair, big hair, lots of bling and sex appeal. Style is just clothes and shiz, not something that deserves any form of disdain or judgement. Fuck style rules and "what not to wear" programs.

Die Antwoord played all the hits, made creepy faces and you can see me rapping along (and fangirling out) in this little instavideo we shot.




Yolandi's most memorable look is the one from her Baby's on fire video, where she rocks multiple watches at the same time.




I've been wanting to recreate that look but it's not exactly something I'd wear on a normal day. But when I received a package with the new Scuba Libre Swatch watch (the in Clownfish) on the day after the Die Antwoord show, I knew the moment was nigh. So I bleached out my eyebrows to get my rave-hop on and made it work.



 from top to bottom: the New Gent Lacquered, the Plastic Chrono, the Lady Original and the Scuba Libre, all from Swatch.


OK no I didn't REALLY bleach my eyebrows, I photoshoped them, but it still looks cool yo. If my style was just a bit more punk/alternative, I'd totally bleach them for real.

So that was my post on Die Antwoord and Swatch in which you see me rap for the very first time. EPIC

You a Die Antwoord fan? Should I just bleach my eyebrows and become a fulltime rapper?


PS: Just spotted these Nike Sneakers in the Spartoo sales. TOTALLY Yolandi, right? And marked down to 69,99€, I'm keeping an eye on those babies.



13 comments

  1. Baby's on Fire is such an insane music video. I wish Die Antwoord would come to Toronto. :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll cross my fingers for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ik heb je gezien op Couleur Café, was eigenlijk best raar om je zo opeens te zien lopen aangezien ik je enkel via je blog ken! Heb spijtig genoeg enkel het einde van Die Antwoord gezien, maar leek me wel een goeie show :-) x

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha in welke zin raar? En waarom zegt niemand ooit hallo! ik vind het keileuk om lezers te ontmoeten!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha, omdat ik je enkel ken van foto's en nu je zo opeens in het echt zie, lijkt alsof ik iemand van tv tegen kom ofzo :D Maar volgende keer zeg ik zeker hallo, zonder twijfel!

    ReplyDelete
  6. ik ben gewoon een 26 jarige chick met veel teveel kleren die graag op haar laptop tokkelt! :D ge moest eens zien hoe rommelig mijn living is, jong. De glamour zal rap weg zijn!

    ReplyDelete
  7. nice view on this subject and love the recreation of the look :) I also watched the performance at Couleur, it's one of my must-do festivals, and they were goood :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hahaha keigrappig effect met uw wenkbrauwen. NET ECHT!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yolandi has the msot interesting, weird, amazing look ever. I love to just look at her and her facial expressions, seriously. She's so cool. And she's probably the only person on earth who could make a mullet look like something someone would want. Seriously.
    That's so cool you got to go see them in concert! I bet it was amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. totally agree, she's the one person who has me contemplating a mullet and bleached eyebrows :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. die wenkbrauwen zien er echt uit! staat je goed!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those watches on her arms are so cool!!

    ReplyDelete