Chav Chic

fur: H&M via Insomnia - leggings: H&M - boots: New Look - t-shirt: Born This Way ball - watch: c/o Swatch

As you've probably noticed, I'm really into a more athletic look these days. But that's not the only vibe I'm, uhm, vibing, yo. My current inspiration is more like a holy trinity. In no particular order: 1. athletics, 2. teenage rebel grunge... and 3: tackiness. You might notice from the leggings as pants, faux fur and stiletto boots outfit I'm wearing up in hurr. If that random selection of inspirations doesn't make sense to you, check out my GANGSTA pinterest board which I dedicated to this current obsession of mine with edgy, rebellious, casual-sportswear tackiness.

Just blame it on my recent style icons: Born This Way era Lady Gaga and Yolandi Visser.



I guess this is an obvious continuation of my infatuation (RHYME) with Lana Del Rey's aesthetic which was girly, retro but done all tacky. Tacky is the new chic, yo. I see it as taking a typically "sexy" look and subverting it into something that says "I am my own person and this is my body, don't mess with me". A feminist version of overt, youthful sexiness, if you catch my drift.

I call it Chav Chic. It calls for trainers, leggings, annoying prints, big hair or a high ponytail, fur and blingy hoop earrings. Sort of like the lovechild of Sporty Spice and Ginger Spice. You dig?

13 comments

  1. love the fake fur!
    xoxo
    ewa
    http://thirtiesinthecity.blogspot.de

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ik zou het zelf niet aantrekken, maar 't staat je erg stoer


    www.fashiable.nl

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gotta love it! En dat jasje staat u zo goed, blij dat je het kan dragen!

    ReplyDelete
  4. das ook een beetje de look waar ik voor ga: "iemand met smaak zou het niet dragen" :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. You would looove Edinburgh! So much inspiration in this direction ;)
    Naomi -x-

    ReplyDelete
  6. love the floral leggings

    http://yajairasfashionnotes.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. nice look! i loove your makeup






    http://unzippedfashion.blogspot.com/




    ReplyDelete
  8. Altijd gewaagd & geslaagd! Ben echt fan van de legging!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those leggings are AWESOME. I need some.
    I really love Yolandi Visser's look. She's so interesting and just... weird, in the best way possible. Like, she could be/IS stunning, but she's taken the road to look totally out there and it's so fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  10. yeah that's exactly what I love about it too: there's definite sex appeal, but done in such a weird, over the top way that it almost becomes repulsive, but still hot. It exudes awareness and agency, very postmodern feminism :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. You look like you walked right out of the series Skins.

    COOL.

    xo Charlotte from aliceroxy

    ReplyDelete
  12. BEST compliment ever. I LOVE skins!!

    ReplyDelete